Join now - be part of our community!

Motion Eye Camera

Meld51
Visitor

Motion Eye Camera

Hello,

I seem to have no driver for my camera but I can't find one on the SONY site. Where can I find it please. I have a VGN AR21S running Vista.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Meld51,

You should find the driver in the original driver package on the support site. Click Support tab at the top of this page. It will be under Camera -> VPG-VCC2

Once downloaded extract the zip file and then open Device Manager. Expand Imaging Devices and right click Sony Visual Communications Camera and select update driver software. Point the wizard in the direction of 5U870CAP.inf in the VPG-VCC2 folder.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Meld51
Visitor

Thanks Rich, I'll try this and report back

Meld51
Visitor

OK went to support at the top of the page. Here you have several options. Under downloads there is no camera driver listed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Hold on....found a zip file but this poses two more questions:

1. The zip file is only for the AR21S as new whereas I have the SONY VISTA UPGRADE

2. There is no UK or even English version of the driver listed.

Can I use a driver made for another country/language?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Meld51,

You need to download the Original Drivers Package and extract the files (Right-Click -> Extract All) and you will find the driver under \\AR2_Drivers\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2

To save you some bother, I attach the driver below as a .ZIP. Right-click on it and choose Extract All. Extract to C:\

As Rich mentions, you will have to force the camera to install with the Sony driver. In Device Manager, right-click on the Unknown USB Camera Device and choose 'Update Driver'. Choose 'No, not this time' -> 'Install from List or Specific Location' -> 'Don't Search, I will choose a driver to install' -> 'Have Disc' and browse to C:\AR2_Drivers\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2\5U870CAP.INF

:wink:

EDIT: Re your last edit - it is the same driver for XP and Vista.

Meld51
Visitor

Hello both,
Found an English file called 5U870Prp.ax

Is that it?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes it is the same driver for XP and Vista.

Just point the installer at the .INF file and it will install the correct language for your operating system (actually there is an 'English' folder but ignore this).

If you are running Vista you need to check you have BOTH the Vaio Camera Utility AND the Vaio Camera Capture Utility installed.

:wink:

Meld51
Visitor

Ah,
Managed to install it! So far so good. Thanks.

Still not functioning though (but I could just be daft) I'll try and see a live image now...

Sorry to be dim but what are the Vaio Camera Utility AND the Vaio Camera Capture Utility ??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

what are the  Vaio Camera Utility AND the Vaio Camera Capture Utility ??

They are from the Sony Utilities Pack and are needed to view the camera image, adjust the brightness/contrast and to capture stills or video from the camera. They don't seem to be available with the Vista Upgrade downloads for the AR21S - however, I would download the Original Utilities Package for the AR41S and 'borrow' these two utilities from a model which has has time to sort out most of the early Vista camera problems.

With XP you could open the Camera Utility in My Computer but it's more complex with Vista.

:thinking:

Meld51
Visitor

Thanks once more. This will have to be tomorrow since I'm on the early shift...need to sleep!