Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio woes

profile.country.GB.title
Photo7iiFun
New

Sony Vaio woes

I have a VGN-BX51VN ..... with one major problem I've only just become aware of (despite having it for nearly 2 years) - because this is the first time I've tried to access a wireless network [using this particular laptop].

The wireless network switch does not work!
Also, the wireless network adapter switches back to Disabled when I reboot.

(The on-board mouse is absolutely crap too - but I've put up with that)

The second problem is annoying, but at least I can re-enable the adapter.

The first problem seems insurmountable! This switch in all probability never worked from day one, but I just never knew this until now when I want to configure a wireless LAN.

I'm going to get stung now no doubt with whatever Sony's cost is to repair the switch.

What I want to know though is :-
1. Is this switch a common item to fail?
2. Am I going to be stung with a large Sony repair bill (eg. "we'll have to replace the whole board")?
3. Am I going to have to go through the palaver of posting the laptop to Sony (in a postal strike?) and getting it back again several weeks later? Or is there a faster repair option?

Needless to say, the 1 year warranty is long gone 😞

Many thanks for help replies

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi S400 and welcome.

Replacing the physical switch may be expensive - so check out the software switch first.

Are you sure the Wireless Network Software Switch is working properly - it may not be the hardware switch.

Download and install the Wireless Switch Utility from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-BX51VN

Are you still running the original Vista? If so do you have a green square icon in the system tray? Double click on this and make sure the 2.4GHz Wireless Lan box is checked.

:thinking: