Join now - be part of our community!

Missing drive space

glennsimo
Visitor

Missing drive space

Just bought an RS406 with what is supposedly a 160 GB hard drive. When I checked, it was only 147 and that includes the space used for the pre installed software. Has anyone else got the same problem?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

It's not a problem - some space is taken by the directory structure, some by the allocation tables. Also hard drive makers have their own definition of a gigabyte.

What you can see is perfectly normal.

glennsimo
Visitor

Sorry Rob I dont see that as being perfectly normal, what you see is obviously not what you get. The PC I replaced did what it said on the tin. They are obviously a bit more honest than Sony about what's available when you buy their products.

robpaxton
Explorer

It's not just Sony, all PC manufacturers give the raw unformatted hard disk capacity - and the hard disk capacity is given to them by the hard drive makers. It was less noticable with smaller drives.

kee-lo_

LOL Rob's right, it's the hard disk manufactur's view of what a gigabyte is.
You're missing no space.

glennsimo
Visitor

Fair enough, your right the disc was much smaller on the other PC. Doesn't stop you getting p****d though. However I am impressed by the machine itself, it is quality.

stevep-4
Visitor

1.44mb floppies are actually about 2.1mb before they are formatted. Probably the same applies to hard drives

marcdekker
Visitor

Just to hook in on the topic...
Just to be informative...
HDD Firms sell HDD's in an other specification than what you think in.
They release a HDD based on 1 MB = 1000 KB
But in our topology 1 MB = 1024 KB

Make a sum:
147 * 1024 * 1024 = 154140672 KB
(HDD Size * 1024 * 1024 = TOTAl KB)
Give or take some size falls away by formatting
(my 60 GB is actually => 55,8 GB)

Conclusion...it is perfectly normal that the size of your HDD is actually smaller.

Regards,
MD

chuckalicious
Visitor

Bingo
I think you'd be hard pushed to fill 147Gb legally anyway :slight_smile:

tellingd
Visitor

That's a fair point :slight_smile:

Of course, he may be a freelance video cameraman :wink: