Join now - be part of our community!

Loud CLICK on Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E PCG-7D1M

danielgent
Visitor

Loud CLICK on Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E PCG-7D1M

Hi there,
I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-FS315E PCG-7D1M laptop here. The owner says that she lost the original charger and once tried to force in the wrong charger (not realising the different ends are to stop you plugging the wrong voltage adaptor in!). Not sure whether the charger she forced in was over or under volting but she said that there was a loud click sound (not sure whether windows booted) and then the laptop wouldn't work.

I had a look at the laptop at my house and connected my universal adaptor. It had the correct adaptor and an LED readout showing the correct voltage (19.5V).
The AC power lights turned on and the laptop booted up. It got to the logon screen and I left it there while doing other work on another computer. I heard a loud click sound. Now the laptop won't turn on, the LEDs on the front do nothing if the AC power cable is plugged in.

Has anyone experience of this and what the loud click could be? I tried removing the battery and holding the power button down for ages but to no luck. Is it worth me taking the laptop apart and getting a voltmeter on it? I don't think it'll be anything as simple as a cracked joint soldering the DC jack in....but always worth a look.

I had a look on ebay for a replacement motherboard but either there aren't any or I need to strip the laptop down to read off the proper motherboard name (rather than search by laptop model).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan Gent

0 REPLIES 0