Join now - be part of our community!

LAP TOP PROBLEMS

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MOGGIE
Visitor

LAP TOP PROBLEMS

I have lost the VAIO GATE icons along the top of my screen. How can I get it back and can anyone tell me if I can play Blu Ray DVD'S on it. It is a NW20SF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi MOGGIE and welcome.

If Vaio Gate is installed on your Vaio it may be set not to run automatically on startup.  Navigate to C:\Program Files -> Sony -> VAIO Gate -> and run 'VAIO gate.exe' by double-clicking on it.

Does the Vaio Gate area and icons appear?  If yes, Click on the SETUP toolchest on the right and check you have the following selected: -

Load at Startup = Yes

Display Mode = Minimised

If the file is not there or the Vaio Gate toolbar does not open, you may need to reinstall Vaio Gate.  Open Vaio Care and choose 'Recovery and Restore' then 'Restore' -> 'Reinstall Applications and Drivers' -> 'Next' -> Select the VAIO Gate programs -> Next -> Start Reinstall.

There is also an Update for Vaio Gate under the Windows 7 Tab here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NW20SF_P/updates

Unfortunately, your model does not have a Blu-Ray drive so you can only play CDs and DVDs.  The full drive specifications are: -

Optical Drive Type: DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM
Optical Drive Fitting: Built-in
Drives Speed (Write): CD-R x24, CD-RW x24, DVD-R DL x6, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x6, DVD+R DL x6, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-RAM x5
Drives  Speed (Read): CD x24, CD-R x24, CDRW x24, DVD x8, DVD-R DL x8, DVD-R  x8, DVDRW x8, DVD+R DL x6, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-RAM x5

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi MOGGIE and welcome.

If Vaio Gate is installed on your Vaio it may be set not to run automatically on startup.  Navigate to C:\Program Files -> Sony -> VAIO Gate -> and run 'VAIO gate.exe' by double-clicking on it.

Does the Vaio Gate area and icons appear?  If yes, Click on the SETUP toolchest on the right and check you have the following selected: -

Load at Startup = Yes

Display Mode = Minimised

If the file is not there or the Vaio Gate toolbar does not open, you may need to reinstall Vaio Gate.  Open Vaio Care and choose 'Recovery and Restore' then 'Restore' -> 'Reinstall Applications and Drivers' -> 'Next' -> Select the VAIO Gate programs -> Next -> Start Reinstall.

There is also an Update for Vaio Gate under the Windows 7 Tab here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NW20SF_P/updates

Unfortunately, your model does not have a Blu-Ray drive so you can only play CDs and DVDs.  The full drive specifications are: -

Optical Drive Type: DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM
Optical Drive Fitting: Built-in
Drives Speed (Write): CD-R x24, CD-RW x24, DVD-R DL x6, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x6, DVD+R DL x6, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-RAM x5
Drives  Speed (Read): CD x24, CD-R x24, CDRW x24, DVD x8, DVD-R DL x8, DVD-R  x8, DVDRW x8, DVD+R DL x6, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-RAM x5

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
MOGGIE
Visitor

Many thanks Blencogo, Vaio Gate up and running again but I am dissapointed that I can't play Blu Ray discs because in a table to be found in the instruction manual it says that if the drive is DVD RW which it is, then it should handle them.:smileysad:

Many thanks.

Moggie.