Join now - be part of our community!

Integrated Webcam Motion Eye does not work

zeta81
Visitor

Integrated Webcam Motion Eye does not work

Hi all,
I have some trouble with the integrated webcam (Motion Eye) of my Sony Vaio VGN-CS11S\Q with Windows Vista Home.
Starting from 31th October 2009, my webcam does not work. I think that some system update compromised the webcam drivers.

The ArcSoft Webcam Companion originally installed (and never removed) on my machine, is not able to find the webcam, moreover if I try to run Skype, it exit with no reason trying to load the webcam.

Additional infos:
1) I tryed to restore Windows few days before, but nothing happens.
2) I tryed to remove the webcam in the control panel, after reboot the webcam is recognized, but doesn't work.
3) I re-installed the driver for the USB controllers, but nothing happens.
4) I installed SplitCam 4.2 (a software that uses his own drivers) and the webcam works fine, so is not an hardware problem.
5) I tryed to use an external webcam (a Logitech), and also this does not work.
6) I tryed to use the webcam using a Linux Live CD and it works fine.

So I think that definitely is a driver problem.

Seems impossible find the original driver for this webcam and the Sony Customer Service say to me that "the webcam is a third part".

Moreover the Sony Customer Service says that the only thing I can do is to restore my notebook to original installation (more than 1 year ago) and I think that this is a crazy way to solve a driver problem.

Any one is able to help me?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Rich912 suggested a possible way forward for your problem a few days ago. You are not alone and this problem has arisen several times already without anyone posting a solution.

The webcam appears to use the generic Windows driver C:\windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

Can you find the uninstalled camera device in Device Manager? It could be listed as a USB device.

If so try to force an install by right-clicking on the device with the yellow warning and choose Update Driver
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Select Have Disk....
Select Browse....
Browse to the driver installation information file at C:\Windows\INF\usbvideo.inf
Next ..........
If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
Close & Re-Boot

Can you please try this and report back - particularly if it works.

:thinking:

zeta81
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,
I removed the webcam and forced, during the installation, to use C:\Windows\INF\usbvideo.inf driver, I reboot and than the only difference is the change of the device name, before was: "Sony Visual Communication Camera" and after "USB video device", but the webcam still does not work with ArcSoft or Skype while SplitCam still works.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi zeta81,

You may possibly have complicated the issue by installing more than one camera driver.

I suggest that you uninstall all third party software (excluding the ArcSoft Webcam Companion) and drivers and then try updating the USB camera in device manager again by following Blencogo’s instructions above.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zeta81
Visitor

Hi guys,
bad news, it does not work 😞

I removed all drivers and stuff, rebooted, removed webcam and forced to use C:\Windows\INF\usbvideo.inf, but nothing happens.

There's no way to use SplitCam drivers as OS drivers? or some alternative drivers... I can't believe that there's no solution to this issue.

mannheimguitar
Visitor

Hi
I had the same problem starting with skype closing and moving to the arcsoft software not recogizing the camera neither. After searching the web i came up with the solution.
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=377161&st=20&start=20
Follow "RajRenu" procedure (post 3) and it will work again. This seems to be a specific Vaio problem and i hope Sony will fix this with a patch. For right now this workaround does the trick.
Glad to have helped you.
Cheers

zeta81
Visitor

Hi Mannheimguitar,
that procedure is used to remove the bluetooth profile for camera and this is not my problem.

However I tryed also this, so I renamed "C:\Windows\system32\BtwVdpCapFilter.dll" to "C:\Windows\system32\BtwVdpCapFilter1.dll", but nothing change the only thing is that in the list of Video Device does not appear anymore "Bluetooth Video" (or something similar), but only the Motion Eye. Now Skype does not exit without reason, but it show a "Video Error" and camera still not works. 😞

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
AlonRonen
Visitor

Hi,

have you ever solved this issue?

I have exactly the same case with my VGN-Z790 Vaio...

I know is a year now...

Thanks,

Alon