Join now - be part of our community!

GRX316MP - Not starting properly sometimes

316mp
Visitor

GRX316MP - Not starting properly sometimes

Hi,
I've had my laptop for about 4\5 yrs. Recently it stopped recognising one of the memory modules and was only showing half. Tested the module and it works fine.
The problem is that sometime it will not boot properly and was wondering what the cause is. I have found some sites that report similar problems to that i am experiencing but tend to blame the soldering joints were the memory modules are slotted. Has anyone experinced this? Any advice?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nice to see another GRX316MP user :slight_smile:

The soldering joints are probably the problem. Try botting without the extra RAM, are there problems?

316mp
Visitor

Hey, i've moved the ram from slot to slot and know which one is faulty,. THUS buying 512mb to accomodate lost memory..

I have kinda figured how to by pass the issue by pressing on the backplate that covers the ram which does help with boot up..BUt i would like a permanent solution really.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

William posted this LINK to a UK based repairer for the Vaio memory socket repair.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
handyandyuk
Visitor

Yep, sounds like the well known 'ram slot failure'. I can heartily recommend the 'Sparky Bruce' option here in the UK as per Rich912's link. And a pair of 512 DIMMs makes a wise move too.... as does a 2.4 chip.... but the ram slot repair is definately the first move.:smileygrin: