Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sky to VGC LT1 via s-video

raintrek
Visitor

Connecting Sky to VGC LT1 via s-video

I am getting round in circles here!

I can connect the Sky box via RF, scan for a signal and it kind of works except the aspect ratio is totally wrong, it is more 4:3 than 16:9.

The Vaio is set up as per the manufacturers settings and the monitor set up shows the ratio of the supplied video as OK. The Sky box is set for 16:9. I tested the RF connection by plugging in a digital terrestrial signal and it found loads of channels and worked at the correct ratio. I tried with an analogue signal and again, as with Sky, wrong ratio.

I read on another thread that using the s-video connection would resolve the problem. I connected using that, went through the media centre set-up. It showed a preview of the Sky box (though in black and white) with sound. It seemed like this may have been the solution until we went to the next stage when it wants an IR hardware receiver (or something of that nature.

The Vaio already comes with a MCR remote and we are happy to continue changing the Sky channels with the Sky remote so we don't need any other remote. I tried going through set-up and not selecting the remote but could find nothing which enables that.

Now I am totally stumped, no idea how to resolve the problem and am stuck with a rather bad picture connected via the RF lead.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi raintrek.

All the Sony L-Series 'All-In-Ones' running MCE are not designed to accept an analogue signal from any external tuner and display it full screen.

The bigger MediaCentre XL-Series has an IR Blaster connection that will allow the set up of a 'set top box' with the S-Video input, but this is missing from the L-Series.

Your S-Video input is processed through the AverMedia TV Tuner Card and some people have had success by downloading a freeware analogue TV Tuner program and setting it up to receive a S-Video input - but I have not heard of anyone getting this to work properly in Media Centre.

:slight_frown:

raintrek
Visitor

OK, well, at least I know I was flogging a dead horse!

Is there any information which freeware TV program has been known to work as me working with the PC really needs to be quite quick as it is my son's machine and he's mentally handicapped, doesn't do well with someone tinkering for ages trying new things ... as I have been doing on every visit so far!