Join now - be part of our community!

Adding a Second Tuner to an XL-201

RobMiles
Visitor

Adding a Second Tuner to an XL-201

I've got the XL-201 running Vista mostly nicely, and today I added a second TV tuner. I got an external USB one from Ebuyer for fifteen quid:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108219

It works a treat. Just plug it in a usb port at the back of the machine and let Vista find the drivers on the internet. Then, when you restart Media Centre it tells you that you have an additonal tuner and gives you the option to reconfigure the TV. Once you have done that it just works.

We can now record one channel and watch another.

I'm not sure if this would work as well with Windows XP MCE, but with Vista it is a breeze. And no need to take the lid off the computer.

This tuner is actually quite nice. It also works on notebooks and seems to give good results, although it needs a good signal, the little aerial it comes with is no good at all.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What card would you say is good for Freeview and Sky, I mean to connect Sky, not to replace it?

ITTroll
Visitor

Thanks Metcaa1, wonder if the Hauppage card fits the Vaio, it's very tight for space isn't it?

The WinTV-NOVA-T-500 does fit in the XL201, I have one in mine alongside the original AVerMedia for a 3 tuner system.

The only thing is the Hauppauge has quite a wide/thick back plate which fouls the small extruded card guides on the rear of the XL201's case. I simply flatened these back using a pair of pliers.

The card works great in XP and Vista. There is a slight issue with Vista and sleep mode but this can be avoided by not installing the drivers for the Hauppage Remote Control Receiver (you won't need it anyway).

johanrobson
Visitor

I have an XL100 which I upgraded to Vista and added my Hauppage Nova T 500. The same upgrade ionn an old PC worked fine earlier this year

Now Mediacenter freezes TV on the new Hauppage Card and the original Avermedia card in all combinations. I also have no sound on playback and think (though I have to fully check) that the composite video is failing.

I have also tried installing the Vista drivers on the Sony website and doing a system restore.

Has anyone any ideas on a fixes - I was thinking this mediacenter software problems rather than the drivers.

I did manage to swap the slots of the Hauppage and Avermedia cards and they fitted better that way around by the way.

Many Thanks