Join now - be part of our community!

20GB HDD from PCG-GR314MP OK in GR214MP?

odyss
Visitor

20GB HDD from PCG-GR314MP OK in GR214MP?

Hi! Am hoping to use a 20 GB hard disk drive from a Vaio PCG-GR314MP (1.2 GHz, WinXP Pro) in a PCG-GR214MP (1.0 GHz). Any views of whether this is likely to work? Will I need to install additional drivers on the 214MP? Any comments welcome! Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi odyss and welcome to the forum.

As long as both hard drives are the same physical size you will have no problems. No additional drivers are required.;

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
odyss
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you happen to know where I could find out about the drive size of both models? I am planning to buy the 214MP and am not able to measure the drive size before I buy. The 314MP I own, but to be honest I´m not a hardware expert and I'd rather not take the box apart myself, especially if I might then find that the physical sizes are different...

Thanks again!

Odyss

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I can guarantee that they will be the same size, especially as they are from the same series.

The only difference in size with a notebook drive is the depth (9.5mm usually but very occasionally 12mm) but within any Vaio series they will be the same. Buy buy with confidence.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
odyss
Visitor

Good news! Thanks very much for your help, Rich!

odyss
Visitor

Hi, acquisition of GR214 failed, so have my sights on a 315. Still no compatibility issues? Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No compatibility issues there odyss as I think that the standard drive in this model is 30 gig. It does puzzle me however why you don’t just buy a new hard drive – surely this would be the cheaper option at approx £50?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
odyss
Visitor

The reason is that the mobo on my old 314MP failed & now have its old 20GB HDD with important data & programs that I want to find a compatible s/h laptop for (too expensive to replace mobo&carry out other required repairs). Discovered that, yes, the standard HDD size on the 315MP seems to have been 30GB, but I just heard that the 315 even booted successfully from a 4GB HDD! So, I am reassured... Thanks again for your advice!

Odyss

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Ahhh, now I understand. Best of luck with that.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe you could buy an enclosure for the drive and rescue your files?

Wouldn't cost more than £40