Join now - be part of our community!

1080p on XL302 - I've had enough

achster1
Visitor

1080p on XL302 - I've had enough

Hi all

Ok, after weeks of searching I HAVE HAD ENOUGH - I cannot get 1080p on my 50in 1080p/24fps plasma.
I cannot believe that Sony have misled people with the "Full 1080 HD" badge and sold them a machine with Blu Ray without the capability to show their major technoloy in it's full glory....
I have three options -
Return the machine
Seek legal advise on the "implied" meaning of "Full 1080 HD" - to every I speak to in the industry it's 1080p, not 720p/1080i which is "HD Ready".
Thirdly - to install a capable graphics card - on this point, is it possible?

I love Sony and have spent 1000's on their products ( I currently have a number of Vaio's) but this does take the biscuit. For the first time Sony seems to have put "form over function"

If anyone feels the same then please post here - maybe we can Sony to look at this?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi achster1 and welcome.

This must be a nVidia driver issue.

What version of the nVidia Forceware Driver do you have installed? Have you tried any recent drivers?

:thinking:

achster1
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for the reply - kinda hoping you would pop up - :smileygrin: so the saga continues.
BTW just updated the HDMI Audio fix for 1.3a equipped displays - this has rendered it more useless. :devil: As a point of digression DO NOT APPLY THIS UPDATE UNLESS YOUR NVIDIA DRIVER IS THE LAST ONE POSTED IN UPDATES SCREEN ON VAIO LINK (nVidia Video Driver 7.15.10.9813)- your system may well BLUE SCREEN. ALSO THE UPDATE HAS STOPPED WINDVD BD from working with recent DVD titles - namely Spiderman 3 :devil:

This was the issue - I DID have the latest builds from Nvidia:

File Size: 68.7 MB
ForceWare Release 163
Version: 163.75
Release Date: 5.11.2007
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Language: English (International)
File Size: 56 MB

At this point on my Samsung PS50P96FD (1080p display) - nothing - the most I got is 1920x1080i @ 50mhz - the display was set to 1:1 pixel matching.

because of the HDMI update cock-up the Driver has had to be rolled back to:

nVidia Video Driver 7.15.10.9813
as per the sites instructions.....

Any help on the audio or video would be great.
Thankyou for the welcome. I have 3 Vaio's at the moment (2 laptops and this machine) Any help would be appreciated... :slight_frown:

Thanks Blencogo

ITTroll
Visitor

I know it advises you to roll back, but did you try running with the included 156.65 drivers? They did seem like resonable drivers to me - I am pretty sure they offered a 1080p option. I'm going to put them back on tonight...

achster1
Visitor

I know it advises you to roll back, but did you try running with the included 156.65 drivers? They did seem like resonable drivers to me - I am pretty sure they offered a 1080p option. I'm going to put them back on tonight...

Hey Troll, Thanks for the reply - I rolled back out of panic - my sound wasn't working as well (hence the reason to use the patch) - I've tried a number of drivers up until 165.75 (?) but with no option for 1080p - even though I have a 1080p display (Samsung PS50P96FD).

There has been a lot of talk over the pond about this - Sony (apparently) do not offer 1080p with the XL302 - the "Full HD 1080" refers to interlaced, not progressive and is a marketing term (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=836519).

Some in the US has managed to get it to work (details are in the above link) but with Vista Ultimate - I would follow the methodology proposed by "bitz" (post 59 onwards - pg 2). Let me know how you go - I'd be very interested.

Thanks

ITTroll
Visitor

You're right, even though the 156.65 driver does have a 1080p option, when you select it 1080i is output. I didn't bother messing with the Resolution utility though as I don't actually need 1080p.