Join now - be part of our community!

Soft buzzing noise after switching off TV into standby mode

SOLVED
profile.country.hu_HU.title
rank17
Explorer

Soft buzzing noise after switching off TV into standby mode

Hello every one,

I have recently purchased a KDL-32EX720 model, and after switching off the TV set into standby mode, a soft buzzing noise can be heard from the rear side of the LCD panel ( if we are standing in front of the TV, it is from the top of the right side). It always takes about 9-10 minutes, then it stops. When switching on the TV again, or pulling the power cord out from the socket it stops as well.

My question is the following: is it a normal operational occurrence or is it a sign of a faulty component.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Thaks a lot,

rank17

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.ru_KZ.title
jenniyah
Visitor

Do we know after which time sony made the tv's with the new board?

The  models in my area are nov 2011 production and so far they seem to all have this issue. Would returning it for a dec 2011 solve the problem?

Got it from a sony store, should have like another 20 days to swap

Booking a service is annoying, do they do weekends? hum....

Message was edited by: jenniyah

Message was edited by: jenniyah

rank17
Explorer

Hello Sebastiaan,

Sorry for being late with my response, unfortunately my problem hasn't been solved yet, but thanks for Bravia55HX923, at least we have learnt the reason of the buzzing noise.
I'm trying to summerize what happened. FirstIy I have visited one of the SONY's official services with my TV, where I was told, that the problem may due to the impregnation failure of  the inverter component, so the power supply unit should be replaced. Unfortunately this component was out of stock, so after 2 weeks I got another same new model instead of the first one, but this one also showed totally the same problem like the original one. After this a third one was delivered to our home, but just after connecting it into the socket, we could hear the buzzing noise, so I kept the second one. When the power supply unit was already on hand again, the service replaced it by a new one (according to them: by another type, recommended by SONY for this TV model), but the buzzing noise can be heard with the replaced power supply unit as well.

Best regards,

rank17

rank17
Explorer

Hi Bravia55HX923,

Thank you for your fresh report and keeping an eye on it.
Does it mean, that when the remanufactured boards will be available through the services our problem will be sorted out by replacing this component?

Thank you,

Rank17

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi all,

i have heard no more on this subject from anyone else other than you guys who have been in contact with the repair centres, seems rather odd its turning into a bit of a mixed bag!,

as i have said in one of my earlier posts it was believed that these boards were being re manufactured and the original causes for why,  was it was believed the energy switch was being interfered with by lighting dimmers fitted to lighting circuits in modern homes.

since none of us are any the wiser on this, i have an idea for those of you with this problem that have lighting dimmers also, go to the fuse board, nearly all are replaced or fitted as standard now with circuit breakers and trip the lighting circuit only, then check and see if the tv is still buzzing.

if its not then its deffo the dimmers and can be treated as such, but if the tv still buzzes then we have a whole new ball game, then and only then armed with this info can we kick some Sony butt into gear and get something done!.

profile.country.en_GB.title
serviceman1989
Visitor

Hi I think you may find the buzz after switch off is more likely the power source slowly reducing causing the inverter psu to make a slight noise as it dissipates the charge, annoying but I would consider it safe and normal. This does not apply to all models as they are fitted with different chassis depending on the design or where they were assembled.

Message was edited by: serviceman1989

Message was edited by: serviceman1989