Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-49WE663 Home button, YouTube and screen sharing problem with firmware 8.464

profile.country.FI.title
skydiver73
Explorer

KDL-49WE663 Home button, YouTube and screen sharing problem with firmware 8.464

Hello,

I've had a KDL49WE663 for a little over a year now. Mostly I've been happy with it, and things have worked as expected. Some time ago, I noticed problems related to different web services and connectivity. I've done some testing, and it seems the following services are broken:

- Home button. Pressing the Home button on the remote just brings up a "please wait and try again later" error message in the bottom right corner of the screen.

- YouTube app. Pressing the YouTube button causes the screen (when watching regular TV) to briefly go black, but then just return to the normal TV programme. No error messages are shown. Occasionally this takes a longer time, but generally it's just a 2-3 second black screen before returning to the normal TV mode.

- Screen sharing from a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact no longer works. The phone does recognize the TV on the network, but trying to cast to it (from numerous different apps, such as YouTube, Photo album) does nothing. When setting the TV to the Screen Mirroring from the input selector, I see a "Connection from Controller. Cannot display content" error message on the TV when the phone tries to connect. The phone still believes it is connected, and "stop casting" must be separately selected.

All of the above functionality has worked in the past. I cannot say for sure when it broke, or whether everything broke at once, but I'm very much suspecting the update to firmware version 8.464. It would fit time-wise to when I started noticing these problems.

I can still access Netflix, and I can perform software update checks. The TV is connected via ethernet cable to my router, and I have a stable 40 Mbps download / 8 Mbps upload ADSL connection. I've tried a number of tricks to fix this, including:

- Using the "Refresh Internet content" option

- Complete factory reset of the TV

- Reboot of the ADSL modem

- DHCP lease expiration of the ADSL modem

- Connecting via both WiFi and the normal ethernet cable

- Using a completely different ISP (4G tethering via WiFI hotspot from a mobile phone) to eliminate any dependency on the ADSL line. No difference in behaviour regarding YouTube and Home button (obviously couldn't test the screen mirroring in this case).

- Manually setting the TV's DNS servers to 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4.

- Polling for a software update via Internet (just got a "you already have the latest version" message)

- Trying to re-install FW 8.464 via USB (just got a "you already have the latest version" message)

What baffles me is that while similar problems seem to have been reported on this forum and others for other TV's in the past (and been found to have been caused by FW updates), I haven't been able to find a single mention of my particular problem, even though this has been going on for over a month now.

Is anyone able to confirm this is a known issue with the latest FW?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

HI there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

It would be best to get in touch with the support team here who will be able to advise on these issues.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
pizzaplumber
New

I don't know if you ever got this resolved but I found your issue while looking up mine, yours is the only post I've found with the exact same symptoms. I posted my issue here: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/kd-49xf7002-not-working-after-update-to-v8-885-1000-2-650-...

Did you ever find a solution?

profile.country.FI.title
skydiver73
Explorer

Hello,

It has been quite some time since I posted my original error report, but I'm sad to say that there has been no resolution. I've checked for software updates now and again, but nothing new has been released. The bug remains. I tried to contact my reseller, who referred me to some repair service, but the communication with them was slow and painful, so eventually I just gave up. I use a Chromecast now for accessing Youtube and other streaming services, and will get a new TV at some point anyway, so I've just learned to live with this issue.