Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46W5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 output?

profile.country.fi_FI.title
arpnmt
Visitor

KDL-46W5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 output?

Hi,

I'm not getting any multichannel audio to my Yamaha YSP-4100 speaker from the KDL-46W5500, only stereo. Both optical and HDMI cables are connected. The TV audio setup has optical out options PCM and auto, auto selected. Sony firmware is 1.741EA. Is DD supported?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

DD is only supported if the channel in question is broadcasting DD, usually at the beginning of the show in question it will say if it is, otherwise most broadcast will be in 2 channel stereo only.

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

Your connection & settings seem to be right.

Optical=> the TV will stream the audio that is broadcasted from the TV tuner only (the one coming from an other source connected to teh TV might not pass through or will be only 2ch. If the channel you are watching only broadcast Stereo you won't have 5.1ch

HDMI=> what did you use that cable for in this set up?

profile.country.en_GB.title
gugabackhand
Visitor

Just a heads up, it also depends on the DVD that you use. Some DVDs only offer stereo. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.fi_FI.title
arpnmt
Visitor

Thanks, you are right. It seems like the TV does not pass DD through from BD player, but when I found a channel broadcasting DD, it did come out. I wanted to use the HDMI control to set Yamaha power on/off, but as Yamaha autoselects HDMI audio if available, I got PCM only from the TV. So now it works but I have to manually select audio source.