Join now - be part of our community!

HDD registration - Does it clean the hard drive?

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Madgee08
New

HDD registration - Does it clean the hard drive?

I haven't been able to do the HDD registration as I am afraid that all the files and videos that I have saved to my hard drive from my computer will be lost if I do the registration. So could someone who has done the registration so that they can record tv-programmes please tell me if the things that they have had on the hard drive have vanished or have they been intact. Otherwise I will have to buy another hard drive for the tv.

Thansk for the replies.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
gayatri21
Visitor

i am having the same issue, when i connect my hard drive, the tv acknowledges it but i can not view my photos or videos on there. what to do?

nikkilim
Visitor

I am not sure on what you mean by HDD registration. When does this ask you to register? Or is this the same with OS registration? https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Yes, you will loose all information in the disk. Once you register the disk it will be reformatted and you will not be able to access it from a Windows computer. It can only be used for recording and playing the recordings. hope this helps :wink:

gayatri21
Visitor

So i have a 2tb western digital hard drive and when connecting to tv it says i need to register the hdd to record progs however i do not want to record i just want to watch videos etc off it but when i go into the media -usb feature the hdd is not recognised

Bravia55HX

Hi,

this has caused much confusion on here and is difficult to answer correctly as it would depend on how you do this,

firstly should you use a brand new drive it has to be formatted in FAT32 for it to work, secondly once formatted and registered to your tv it cannot be used anywhere else!, thirdly should you have a drive already in NTFS loaded with movies, music etc your tv cannot detect it therefore will not play anything,  also anything recorded onto a drive by the tv that has been formatted and registered by the tv as said above cannot be played on any other device, Sony are quite strict with copyright apparently.

i have no idea if your drive loaded with movies etc what would happen if your tv was to manage to "register" it to your tv even if its not in FAT32, you may end up rendering the drive useless!

the information above has been put together from other information from other users on this forum and there has been many with this issue none of which has been answered by anyone from Sony themselves.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

if you want to play videos or music your HDD has to be formatted with FAT or exFAT and you MUST NOT registered the disk with the TV.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Madgee08
New

Thanks for all the answers. To clarify, I have watched videos from the hard drive that I saved previously. But I think that I will buy another hard drive for the recording since I still want to storage files from my computer on this one. Thank you all, this has helped.