Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
alferri41
Visitor

Sony have agreed to repair my faulty Bravia 40" KDL 40W4500 free of charge, but the repair centre want me to stump up the £60 they will loose on having no mark up on the spare parts, which is hardly my problem?

iagibso49

At times like this I'm glad I got my tv from M&S with a 5 year guarantee.

kudasa1
Visitor

hiya

ive got the same tv, my issue is with a constant loud buzzing coming from the back of the panel. the only time the buzzing stops is when the contrast is turned to <10! there is def somehting wrong but ive been told by the local authorised dealer that sony told them there was nothing wrong with it. you can hear it in another room , it sounds like an old fridge not a very expensive tv. i will never buy sony again

Message was edited by: -Soup-

KarinaKel
Visitor

Hi Unhappy Customer

I have only just joined this forum looking for a reason why the screen on my parents KDL 40s2010 has failed twice in 5 years.

I havent received any commucation from Sony apart from the Tech Services girl basically advising its reached the end of its life and John Lewis asking for £400 to repair screen again.   I hope you manage to find a resolution but in our experience the repair didnt even last 12 months. 

Willieg8
Visitor

Hello Andy

I have a 22BX20D where the picture has gone but still have the sound. It's only 16 months old. Did you discover what the problem was with your set and how was it resolved?

Regards

Willie

seansmart
Visitor

Another one for the list, in case Sony are monitoring.

I bought a KDL40D3500 from my sister when she won it in a charity auction. The TV is about 4 years from manufacture and 3 years from first use.

About 3 months ago the screen started to fail with dark banding, long fade times, etc, etc, which reduce but do not disappear when the system warms up.

I was in touch with the Sony customer support team in the UK but the upshot is that they refuse to accept responsibility for a failure. Unfortunately as the TV was won in a charity auction, not sold per se, it is not covered by the UK's 'sale of goods act'. Normally when goods fail when outside the 1 year warranty I throw this legislation at the supplier and get a replacement item as it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure that goods show a reasonable 'durability'. TVs are expected to last around 7 years. As the TV was donated I am not prepared to try to hound the donor for funding a replacement as they had the generosity to donate it in the first place. It is a real shame that Sony do not show a level of responsibility to match that of the donor. Shame on Sony.

I will have to replace the TV and will do so with a different supplier. Shame for Sony that they have lost a previously loyal customer.

profile.country.GB.title
Razzatron
Explorer

Same here....

I bought the above tv about 16 months ago and to be honest this is something that I should of sorted out soon after my purchase

On the left side of the screen as you look there are faint black lines going from the bottom to the top of the screen. When I am watching a film or a normal tv show I don't notice then. However, they become particularly prominent when watching football or rugby, and especially when the screen pans from left to right or vice versa.

What to do????

pvit1402
Visitor

Hi Everyone. If you look at my post from November 16, 2011, I posted my pics there of my Sony tv that was ready to be thrown away. After extensive reseach, however, I managed to order a part of the tv that I thought it was broken. Unscrewed the back of the tv and slowly worked to the electronic board part that I had to replace. After about 2 hours and about 60 pounds spent to order the part, my tv was working just fine.

The money was well spent as the repair shop was going to charge me about 70 pounds just to take the tv to their shop and assess it. Then maybe like 700 - 1000 pounds to replace the panel, as they told me on the phone. But there was nothing wrong with the panel. So before you throw your tv away, look online for people with a similar problem and see if they managed to fix it like me. Order the part of find someone or some shop that sells the same model as you have for spare parts, order the electronic tv board that you need that might be causing it, and try to fix it. Worth the try, as I managed to fix mine.

Few months ago, I started to have greenish tone appearing in the left bottom corner. Almost  rectangle in shape. Thought some other board might have been the cause, so I managed to order another, different board i thought might be causing this, but the new board didn't work. So I thought I will put my old one in and live with the greenish tone for a few months until I have money to buy some new tv and guess what. The tv works again. I am guessing it was probably some connection or even the dust that has been collecting inside the telly, which I managed to clean off while I was changing the boards.

So sometimes, there is a quick, and cheap fix with our troubled Sony tvs. But I guess some other customers might have to pay a lot of money to get their tv fixed, as Sony customer service is very bad.

As many people on here I have been buying Sony products for a long time and believed Sony has the best products out there, but not anymore. So for anyone, who even considers buying anything from Sony, specially TV, please don't. You will save yourself a lot of hours on the phone with Sony customer service and save a lot of money.

bagahun62
Visitor

Posted Feb 2011 after my 52W4500 got the dreaded vertical line issue, the tv was aprox 26months old. The panel was replaced under warranty but 20 months later the same symptoms are back. Fortunately warranty is still valid until 2013 so hopefully getting it sorted shouldn't be an issue. What is concerning is that looking ahead if the panel only last a similar amount of time I will then be out of warranty and face a bill.

Hoping they have no replacement panel available and I am offered either a direct replacement or money towards another TV.

Will book an engineer visit and report back accordingly.

Message was edited by: bagahun62

rotimms89
Visitor

Hi All,

Have just spoken to Sony Customer Services on 0844 8466 555 after KDL-40W4500 (purchased December 2008) developed known panel fault (ghosting, horizontal lines). Clears up after 15 minutes use but left with visible vertical line 1/4 way down screen. Was pleasantly surprised when advisor stated this is known fault and technician will contact you in 2 business days to take TV away for repair. All work carried out will be free of charge.

My faith in Sony has been restored.

I hope anyone else with this issue gets sorted out as quickly and hassle free as I have.

Rob