Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
112 REPLIES 112
profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

I think that's entirely likely.  I don't understand why this should be an issue as iPlayer is a streaming player and I don't think there is any need (or possibility) to store the whole of the media.  It follows that file size should be irrelevant unless someone has made a coding error in the iPlayer client  (which I suspect) and so it rejects material above a certain file size.

Sony - Are you taking any action to investigate and rectify this issue, please?

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus and I have reviewed the link.  Just to be clear, this is not an HD problem, it affects SD as well.

Good luck with your escalation!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, and thanks for the clarrification :slight_smile:

Huchot
Explorer

I also have a KDL40NX713 on which I am trying to update the firmware, so the iPlayer connection works.

The instructions in

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdlnx-firmware-update-v5054eus/KDL...

have been followed. I've copied the sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00060100 folder from my Mac onto a perfectly good memory stick, put it into the TV and the System Update starts then exits immediately with no suitable file found. I've tried a couple fo times. What can I try now? Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly - Are you sure you have not already got the latest FW installed??

Check this by doing the following:

1. Turn on your TV and press the HOME button on the remote to display the Home Menu
  2. Navigate to Product Support category and press OK.
  3. Navigate to System Information and press OK.
  4. On the TV screen, the firmware version number should appear like this: PKG5.054EUS-0108- if the version number is PKG5.054EUS-0108 or higher you already have the most recent firmware

Secondly, try just doing a simple "Refresh Internet Content" by going to HOME > NETWORK > REFRESH INTERNET CONTENT

Cheers

chrpreec
Explorer

I couldn't make it work using a USB stick formatted on a MAC so I followed the instructions here that does the update via the internet.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33287/c/65,66/p/61659,62766,63067/

Hope this helps!

Huchot
Explorer

My firmware version is PKG5.053EUS-0108.

I've refreshed the internet content ad nauseum.

I don't see my software version anywhere to know whether it is > or = 4.020, and therefore whether the procedure given in https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33287/c/65,66/p/61659,62766,63067/ is relevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Couple more things to try:

1. Can you also ensure that the USB Drive is formatted using FAT32 filesystem.  And try again
  2. Do what the previous person said above using the link provided.

Other than that, I am out of idea's to be honest.  If nothing works, I think its time to contact Sony Support : HERE

Hope all goes well.

Cheers

Huchot
Explorer

Thank you to all those who made suggestions. I am now running firmware PKG5.054EUS-0108 and iPlayer works.

I tried the How to perform a forced system software update link, several times, and gave up since it didn't seem to work. But one day later it has worked. so thank you.

I 'm concerned that I will be unable to install any future updates via the USB port though, since I have a Mac computer and not a PC. Let's hope they will work automatically.