Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

Hello All

For anyone who has these two models HDD Recorders (SVR-HDT500 + SVR-HDT1000) there seems to be an issue when recording.  My mum has one of these boxes and it is recording the same show twice - even though there is only 1 instance in the timer list.

Upon going to the USA Forums, there seems to be others experiencing this issue as well. The people posting on the USA Forums seem to be UK people See:  http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Sony-SVR-HDT500-recording-same-programme-twice/td...

I am therefore escalating this issue to SonyUK Support in order for them to provide a resolution.

I would urge those that have this problem to post a reply in this thread.

Thank you all.

183 REPLIES 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PEEVED23 - You're welcome :slight_smile:

morgan12345
Explorer

Excellent - I'll do this later. TBH it's just nice to know they’re looking into it seriously!

Tuning only to the PSB frequencies doesn't mean you'll get only three channels. Dragging my brain back to my telecomms modules at university, a 'channel' in the technical sense - that is to say a single frequency - used to contain a single stream of audio and video data (BBC ONE, ITV etcetera). Over the years, they worked out different ways to interleave additional data onto the same carrier frequency, such as a second audio feed (stereo), and data (teletext). Words like phase modulation are jumping around my head, though that particular tequnique may not have been employed in television broadcast.

With the switch to digital, there were greater opportunities to interleave multiple audio, video, and data streams (audio and video of course is data in the digital world), such that numerous broadcasts could be received in one 'channel' (technical sense). This is known as multiplexing.

People still call BBC ONE and BBC TWO separate channels, but they actually come down the arial on same channel and it's the decoder that breaks them apart. Therefore, three technical channels actually means multiple television channels (or stations).

Nevertheless, it still means going without without quite a few stations, so fingers crossed for a permanent fix soon.

P.S. If any telecommunications engineers are reading this post and laughing, go easy, it's been a decade since I had to think about this stuff! :slight_smile:

futaura
Explorer

@Herbie460 wrote:

The only recorder that is not affected is the Humax brand.

Guess its a wait and see situation.

That's misinformation - the only reports are coming from Sony and Digital Stream owners (designed and manufactured by the same company). All other brands of recorder appear to be completely unaffected by this issue, so only a minority are affected.

Herbie460
Explorer

Its not misinformation ! It came from my local Sony Centre and is the
information that they are aware of. It¹s not a minority of systems it
appears to be all the dual tuner HDD Sony recorders (500mb and 1000mb)

Regards

Met vriendelijke groeten

Bert
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Some might notice this was posted on the DigitalUK Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/UKterrestrialTV/

DigitalUK.jpg

To be honest, this is news to me :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
copperbeeches
Explorer

Thanks for all your attention over this issue, Quinnicus.

Has anyone tried this method yet?

Do you know if any pre-recorded and archived recordings will be earased in the process?

Cheers ;-)

profile.country.GB.title
martmart123
Explorer

Hi

Thank you Quinnicus for raising this.

Also have the same issue with programmes recording twice. I have tried deleting all the programmes from the timer list and then putting them back in without success of stopping it happening.

Not sure if this is connected but also experiencing a problem with programmes switching over by themselves whilst watching TV on a separate channel. Switches over to the programme being recorded when it starts recording then you can only watch the original channel via TV function only as the box refuses to switch back to the channel you were watching.

Regards

bjork2
Explorer

We have the same problem with a SVR-HDT500 that has worked perfectly until recently. The response to the remote is very slow, it records the same program twice and fails to record some programs that are scheduled. It also fails to accept recording instructions. These idiosyncrasies have manifested themselves progressively over recent weeks. Resetting only provides a temporary fix. We could do with some help from Sony.

PEEVED23
Explorer

@morgan12345 wrote:

Tuning only to the PSB frequencies doesn't mean you'll get only three channels...

...Nevertheless, it still means going without without quite a few stations, so fingers crossed for a permanent fix soon.

Thanks @morgan12345! Even as I wrote it I knew I was being a numpty and someone would have the know-how to explain it to me. I'm about to try it. I'll report back if it works or not...

profile.country.GB.title
TerrorByte
Explorer

@copperbeeches wrote:

Thanks for all your attention over this issue, Quinnicus.

Has anyone tried this method yet?

Do you know if any pre-recorded and archived recordings will be earased in the process?

Cheers ;-)

I've not tried this, and I'm going to wait for the actual fix.

I see no reason it would remove recordings, but I expect it to clear all your Timer events as you are effectively replacing the programme guide. Also I expect to have to "un-do" this workaround once the fix is available. Whether the "fix" will also lose things is yet to be seen. :-S