Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

Hello All

For anyone who has these two models HDD Recorders (SVR-HDT500 + SVR-HDT1000) there seems to be an issue when recording.  My mum has one of these boxes and it is recording the same show twice - even though there is only 1 instance in the timer list.

Upon going to the USA Forums, there seems to be others experiencing this issue as well. The people posting on the USA Forums seem to be UK people See:  http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Sony-SVR-HDT500-recording-same-programme-twice/td...

I am therefore escalating this issue to SonyUK Support in order for them to provide a resolution.

I would urge those that have this problem to post a reply in this thread.

Thank you all.

183 REPLIES 183
dobieg
Explorer

Same here in Central Scotland - happening to both my recorder (bought second hand a couple of yeras ago, up to recently ran faultlessly)  and a unit I bought (again second hand) for my mother in law.

We both live in the STV area, although it seems to affect all stations.

Typically, we schedule one recording event, but both recording indicators come on at once, when we review the "recordedtitles" list, we see two of everything.

As with some other comments, I initially put t down to SOLE (stupid old lady error) but, unless I'm missing something really important, it's also an example of SMAME (stupid middle aged man error).

It may be entirely a red herring, but I noted that teh BBC no longer supported iPlayer on the red button (being blisfully unaware previously it is no great loss!)

What alarms me more is the mum-in-law reports hers "gets rid-hoat (red hot) overnight" - we're now concerned about leaving it plugged in when we leave the room!

As background

I previousy had to replace a Sonny Blue-Ray player when the BBC dropped support - I wonder if it's a Java thing?

I have a 90 year old gramaphone - which still plays records in spite of all the technological developments since then, this goes beyond "planned obselencence" and moves into the field of "Managed decommissioning"

These items are not cheap items, and I have been a faithful Sony customer for over 25 years, principally because up untl now I have considered them a "premium brand"  (I'm typing on a VAIO computer!), had I paid a hundred quid and a box went on the frak, i'd have put it down to "gets what you pays" but I expect better of the good people of Sony.

Even Samsung seem to be more responsive to consumer concerns!

datoomb
Explorer

Yep, exactly the same here.  Working fine for some time until last week then the double recording issues started.

Hoping Sony provide a fix in the coming week otherwise I go to Humax (which I have also used for years without any issues).

Come on Sony !!! :O)

rutthenut
Explorer

One other problem that I noticed was that the disk appears to be spinning even when the DVR is in standby mode, when not recording, not watching any programmes, after the 'off' button is pressed on the remote.

You can hear the machine whirring when it should not be active. This is a concern as it will build up heat and will have more likelihood of mechanical failure. Power off at the plug obviously stops it, wait a few minutes and power on, it does not spin the disk until you then turn on by the remote and start using it - as it should do.

pajorda64
New

I have had all of the problems already listed by others. In addition I thought I would see what happens when trying to record direct with the record button. It tells me it is recording the program but it doesn't record anything. So if I do wish to record it looks like I will have to have it recording twice. I do think that Sony should at least be putting some kind of response even if it is only that they are looking at the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
nasshafi
Explorer

I have the same problem what you will find is that the machine is saying its recording even though its not and won't power off. Press the record stop and you will get a message about it staying on whilst its recording even though its not.

profile.country.GB.title
copperbeeches
Explorer

Exactly the same here in Lancashire.  I use 2 machines - the 500 + 1000 versions - both have started to duplicate recordings made off-air.  Doesn't matter what channel - the same thing occurs.  Others have commented likewise here and elsewhere (https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-svr-hdt500-1000-freeview-hd-pvr-master-thread.1402333/page-26) about this problem that has just started over the past week.  As well as doubling up on recordings, titles cannot be removed from the Timer Listing even though they have been recorded (TWICE!) and even show up with a red dot which should indicate that a recording is in progress although it has already finished.

Although I am not happy that this has happened - I am pleased that so many here (and elsewhere) are having similar which takes the pressure off me having done something wrong at my side of things.

I trust that SONY will give this their full and immediate attention - the macines (now 4 years old) are great at doing what they are supposed to do.

Please get this sorted - and soon - I don't know what it is to watch 'live' broadcasts anymore ;-)

vihowar20
Explorer

I have the exact same issue in Kent, started on the same day with remote problems and has now escaleted to the point that i have to unplug the box every time i want to use it. Duplicates most recordings (especially on HD channels) and then doesn't record others. Have had the box for years and not one issue with it now all of a sudden this. 

profile.country.GB.title
JustinN
Explorer

I have the same problem. It seemed to start about a week ago: duplicate recordings, slow remote control response to skipping forwards during playback usually followed by a blank screen with the TV displaying a message that the HDMI signal format is unknown, and the EPG is sometimes slow.

Justin.

DianaCann
Explorer

Yes have experienced this too. 

nemarsh29
Explorer

I'm getting the same issue, as is my father who also has this box. First noticed the box was responding slowly on Thursday morning, trying to fast forward through recordings would freeze then blank out the screen as if it was resetting. I was also unable to add new recordings from the guide on Friday evening. Did a reset & it was fine for 15 minutes, managed to add the recordings I needed, but then nocticed running slow again & had the double recording issue. I'd been having some issues with the remote recently & thought it was that until I spoke to my Dad last night & he described the exact same symptoms. So far I've tried a Disk Repair & a Full Rescan, but problem persists.I've also opened a case with Sony Support but not had a reply as yet.