Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sketchy7
Visitor

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

My DVD recorder is no longer picking up channels so I cannot record.This happened after the digital change over. The TV is digital and works fine, I just can't record programs. Help please ??

Ewen

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi Chris,

unfortunately SONY, AFAK, is dismissing this sector. In the catalogue you should still find the DC series that spot the SONY name, supports the new Guideplus digital feeding, has a double tuner (one digital and one analogue) and do most of the things your HX is capable to do (not all). In my personal opinion, the HX series are better (and faster) than the DC ones (I own an HXD870 that works very fine, even if it has lost the guideplus feature), but it depends which actual use you want to do with the recorder. If it is basic and you find one to buy you can go for it. I know that in the UK market there is also the SVR series that on paper has better features (i.e. double digital tuner) but has not a DVD drive,so really depend on what you wnat to do. Out of the SONY world there are better option (i.e. Bluray recorder, double HD digital tuner, Guideplus, SD/USB full support) but they are very expensive (more than 600 EUR).

Regarding analogue support, for sure your recorder will still work but in my knowledge in UK they should almost completely switched it off...

Ciao,

Roberto

chaitke80
Visitor

Hi rooob,

I went into a local store and for £19.99 I think there is a solution. I will probably go for the one @ £24.99.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/freeview-receivers/304_3021_30021_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

You have been most kind,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dear Chris,

as I said it depends really on what you want to do. If you choose to add a digital tuner to your existing recorder because your are satisfied by it that's a good choice.

One more suggestion: if you go for it be sure to buy one that has its own timer functionalities so you still have to set the timer twice (one on your recorder for getting the input from L1 and one on the decoder to switch it on an selecting the right channel) but at least you don't have to deal with the decoder manually (avoiding the risk to record a black signal for 2 hours :smileyhappy:).

By the way, looking at the one @24,99 EUR it says you can receive "up to 50 Freeview channels" : in Italy we get more than 300 channels on DVB-T, why is it so limited?

Ciao,

Roberto

chaitke80
Visitor

Hi Roberto,

"up to 50 Freeview channels"

I thought that very strange as we have 100+

I will check that out. I will update you in a week or so

Thanks,

Keep smiling

Chris

bmorgan13
Visitor

There is an option of how to get around the digital problem. If you have Sky, you can connect video/audio cables (red, white and yellow) into the back of the Sky box and connect the other end into the video camera inlet on the front of the Sony HX525. I am still able to make direct DVD recordings this way.

acooldudearchie
Explorer

acooldudearchie
Explorer

tassos1
New

Hi buddy. You will have all necessary info if you look in thread "hard drive bad on sony rdr-hx900" in avsforum dot com
iamathe69
Explorer

Connect a scart cable between the unit and the new tv

Change the Input Select on Sony RDR-HX525 to Line1

Should be sorted

SonicSonicSonic
Explorer

I'm trying to get a rdr-hx525 recorder properly linked to a small basic Alba set top box receiver. There is commuication eg I have recorded a bit of a BBC 1 programme onto the hard disc and played it back. But am having difficulty getting the recorder to control the set top  box, ie choose channels, and no luck so far getting the digital EPG programmes guide instead of the defunct Guide plus which the machine offers. I was told that there would be a choice offered in TV set up for the digital guide but it doesn't appear as an option. And I can't seem to bet the recorder to save the new information about the Alba.   Also the rdr set up instructions tell me to choose hookup A and antenna as the route into the box, but only when I put the scart from the box to the recorder, as well as the aerial lead, does the tv picture happen, so should I choose scart only, option B, and line 3 not antenna ? 

I can see that I am not quite getting something right on connectivity, and not sure which options to tick by way of jacks out being turned off etc.

The dvd will play dvds, but not record onto blank new dvd rw  discs,  although as above I can get the tv - only  on BBC 1 I think as yet, to record onto the hard disc. So I am nearly there, but not quite.

All advice welcome - seems a shame to ditch the machine when it so close to working.