Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sketchy7
Visitor

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

My DVD recorder is no longer picking up channels so I cannot record.This happened after the digital change over. The TV is digital and works fine, I just can't record programs. Help please ??

Ewen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't want to kill your hope, but in my knowledge the RDR recorders that has a freeview tuner built-in are the ones with code HXD (i.e RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070 and RDR-HXD890/990/1090). Your model type doesn't have the D after HX so it is enabled only for analogue signal, that means that it will be never again able to receive any tv signal after the digital change-over. You may still be able to use it as a recorder only via an external set-top box (or even the TV itself) connected via scart. Otherwise it will be only a dvd player for the time being.

I'm sorry.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi,

There is a new firmware released for RDR to solve this problem , it is under the SUPPORT section at the top of page.

Done

Regards

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't want to kill your hope, but in my knowledge the RDR recorders that has a freeview tuner built-in are the ones with code HXD (i.e RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070 and RDR-HXD890/990/1090). Your model type doesn't have the D after HX so it is enabled only for analogue signal, that means that it will be never again able to receive any tv signal after the digital change-over. You may still be able to use it as a recorder only via an external set-top box (or even the TV itself) connected via scart. Otherwise it will be only a dvd player for the time being.

I'm sorry.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi sketchy7,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I'm afraid rooobb is correct..:smileysad:

The Sony RDR-HX525 does not have an digital terrestrial tuner as shown in the specs..

RDR-HX525.JPG

However you could connect your RDR-HX525 to a set top box, instructions can be found on page 13 of the User Guide should you need them..

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Well, Well, Well :slight_smile: , as Experts said your model don't have digital tuner , so the firmware update will do nothing about the problem

Apologize about the confusion I got about your model number

chaitke80
Visitor

Hi Experts,

I have the same recorder and the same problem. Basically I just want to get Guide Plus back. I am not interested in Sky or Cable. Please can someone suggest the simplest solution to this? I have the user manual. My TV is a Sony Digital Bravia bought at the same time!!  TV is fine and picks up both Digital & Analogue. The Guide Plus stopped working in the Spring. It was then I found out I had been miss sold.

Thanks,

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry chitke80, Guideplus is dead :smileysad:. In your recorder (and by the way also in mine that HAS a digital tuner) Guideplus was meant to work only with an analogue feed. Now that there is not any analogue signal anymore, they just stopped supporting it. It seems that you may still have it working via a sat feed, but unless you already have it I wouldn't suggest you to try.

chaitke80
Visitor

rooobb

Thanks for closing that door! So how do I make this recorder work in Digital mode am I trying to acheve the impossible.? The quality is very good and I simply want to be able to record the odd program to view later (like what I used to do). I presume it will play non digital cd's?

Thanks

Chris

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dear chaitke80,

please don't blame me for your recorder  :smileyhappy:.

Regarding your further questions:

1. you may still be able to record from digital feed via connecting an external decoder to the scart input (should be LINE1) and setting your timer (manually) on the corrisponding input (L1). Be aware that you have to set manually (or via a timer depending on the decoder) the channel you want to record in advance directly on the external decoder - and you have to be sure it is switched on by the time you want to record. Your recorder will not be able anymore to set the channel, it will always record what is available on the scart at the time it awakes
  2. I do not understand what you meant by "play digital cd's". Your recorder will continue to be a CD/DVD player, so it will play any material you'll put in the tray (with some limitation on divx codec) as well as whatever material you have on your HDD

bye,

rooob

chaitke80
Visitor

Hi rooob,

Thanks for confirming my CD/DVD player will play any material and you are correct the HDD will play the materilal left on it.

Please can you recommend a decorder with a timer and the name Sony on it?

btw will the recorder still work in analogue? I will try and see.

Onwards & upwards,

Chris