Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sketchy7
Visitor

Sony RDR-HX525 DVD recorder

My DVD recorder is no longer picking up channels so I cannot record.This happened after the digital change over. The TV is digital and works fine, I just can't record programs. Help please ??

Ewen

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi SonicSonicSonic and welcome to the community Your Recorder does not have any digital decoder internally so you can skip connecting any antenna at all. For the same reason it does not have any EPG (that option is valid only for RDR-HXDxxx models). You can connect the external decoder to line 1 (setting it as RGB input) via scart and than set manual timer from line 1 input (as well selecting line 1 as input if you want to watch it). I never used th g-link supplied (I own and RDRHXD870) so I don't know if it works in commanding your Alba receiver (as far as I know the configuration was available only inside the Guideplus menu not the main setup of the recorder)
SonicSonicSonic
Explorer

Thank you so much, helps a great deal.  I guess using the 2006 manual is not clever as it refers to a by-gone age. I will continue the slow journey forwards!

SonicSonicSonic
Explorer

Very many thanks.

Any idea why the machine will record onto the hard disk, but says the new blank dvds cannot be recorded on?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It could be a specific DVD set that is not recognized by the machine or type (did you try both with DVDR+ and DVDR-?) but more probably is due to your machine being quite old: have you tried a cleaning DVD to polish the lenses?
Vidbec
New

Rooob you are right. My problem began a few months ago after the digital changes were made. I do have a set top BT box. My gripe is I used to be able to delete ads from recordings on the hard drive before dubbing to DVD. Now they do not give options for doing that or even to divide recordings into two or more parts. I will have to pop into Sony and see what is the modern equivalent. Why can't they let us old fogies keep our toys!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unofrtunately @Vidbec there are no modern equivalent of those wonderful machine (at least not in Europe for Sony while they are producing still them for Japan) because probably most of the person find it enough the basic PVR options you may have on modern TVs. My RDRHXD870 is still working fine and hope will do till at least the next switch to DVBT2 :slight_smile: