Join now - be part of our community!

Rxd870

profile.country.GB.title
Grosvenor.
Explorer

Rxd870

Has anyone else got problems again with the EPG.went off Thursday 24/06/24 after being stuck in update mode. This seems to be a regular thing.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This is unfortunately a recurring issue. Please see this thread on AVForums:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-870-and-all-sony-hxd-and-some-pioneers-dvd-recorders-no-freevi... 

The whole thread is about this issue and it started back in 2013. The link should take you to the latest problem date. 

profile.country.GB.title
Grosvenor.
Explorer

I'm stook. Had machine since 2007 first problem years ago was the timer recording were being erased this was repaired by a firmware update 1.70.then  the problem with the EPG several times. But since Thursday evening I haven't been able to resolve this problem.did several factory resets  ,tried the France tuning in ,when I tune into via UK the channels come on for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank. EPG via UK tuning isn't the normal colour ,I've had this before till it righted itself.

I'm lost.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You need to do the Factory Reset (from the machine being on press and hold Stop on the front panel and while holding the Stop button in press the standby button). That shuts down the machine and resets all to OOB state (out of box) but retains any firmware updates that have been done.

Wait a few moments and turn on. It will enter 'Easy Setup' after a few moments.

Keep the GUI language as English (this is the first time it asks and  this sets the language of all the displays) and then when tuning in the Digital Channels (the second time it asks) be sure to select 'Belgium' as the region and continue.

Do not tune in any analogue option but you can retain the UK option here as you have to click past that to continue. 

It should now tune all channels in and it may then report 'Setting the Clock' which it will not be able to do. If that happens press the 'System Menu' button on the remote once. It should move on now.

When asked what Programme Guide to use be sure to select Guide Plus and not Guide Digital.

Complete the set up by clicking through.

Now go to System Menu again and set the clock manually.

You now have to set the timer (it will be a new unfamiliar timer screen you see but its quite intuitive) to record four 2 minute events from 2:59 to 3:01, 4:59 to 5.01, 9:59 to 10:01 and finally 13:59 to 14:01

You can use BBC1 as the channel to record. As well as using the arrow keys on the remote you can also just enter numbers as well which is quicker.

There is a 'Daily' option so you don't have to keep setting these. 

These timer setting are essential because without them the machine will update the channel list at those times on the hour and undo all the settings we have previously done and the result is a broken setup again.

Other options in the menus you may (or may not) know about are the 'Power Save' options. It tells you what happens when you select Option 1 or Option 2 and its up to you to decide what you want. I use Option 2.

Also there is the HDMI control which allows the recorder to use the HDMI connection to switch the TV on or to the recorder input and also allows the TV to turn the recorder off. 

profile.country.GB.title
Grosvenor.
Explorer

Thank you for your help.ive done a factory reset several times now . When I do a UK reset the picture only comes on for a few seconds EPG is a different colour. Only work around is the Belgium opposition. I've had this machine since 2007 I love it. Fortunately there seems to be lots of other people in the same boat. I hope who ever it is can resolve it.at the moment I've reset on UK and it's locked up in update mode.

I have contacted Freeview and BBC waste of time and Sony who are trying to help.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

The BBC have questioned Freeview over this and I have had a reply from them.

I have just posted over on AV forums and you can see a picture of the different timer screen if you choose to stick with Belgium until this is all fixed. I did post the image here but for some reason it has not appeared.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-870-and-all-sony-hxd-and-some-pioneers-dvd-recorders-no-freevi...