Join now - be part of our community!

Er - this BDP-S6700 *is* a Blu-ray Disc Player, isn't it?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Er - this BDP-S6700 *is* a Blu-ray Disc Player, isn't it?

image.jpeg

I ask because the legend at the top says it is - but then?

Spot how you work it.

Yes, it's that undifferentiated gold disc in the middle of the bottom row.

Well spotted!

Same size as any other icon, nothing like as prominent, either in what it shows or where it is.

Featured Apps? Do I want them featured? And even if I do, do I want them more prominent than My Apps?

And can I dismiss them? If I can, I don't know how.

My Apps? Well, I never chose them. And even if I had, I would not have chosen them to appear above the icon for the thing I really bought this device to be.

But stupidly, these are apps I can Move, albeit only along the line, or Remove. So the cost of making the actual Player more prominent - or at least less obscure - is to remove things I might want. Whereas the ones on the left that I really don't want - I'd have chosen them if I had - obdurately won't shift, or go away. And if I make one of them one of My Apps, lo and behold, the damned thing just comes up both sides.

The icon for the actual Blu-Ray player should be prominent, top left, as big as any four other tile in a square. Not practically hidden where it actually appears.

Oh, and did I say we had just been watching a disc from The Good Wife Season Five? And we have Gracenote on Auto? And nothing gets fetched, even though our old superannuated BDP-S6200 can fetch the images perfectly, and display them prominently on its Xross Bar interface.

Even Avatar, for goodness sake, on this 6700, merely gets a text title that scrolls once, and without a sniff of Pandora.

Would whoever designed this UI, and obviously completely forgot what it was for, like to explain himself/herself here? And tell me how to hide all these icons I don't want, and promote what I do want to a place of prominence?

And if he/she can't, then to go away and redesign it so that it reflects the Blu-ray Disc functionality I bought it for, instead of it being a seeming afterthought?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown

I had to turn my head 180 degrees in order to view the picture - now im stuck upsidedown :slight_smile:

You mean you actually want to play blu-rays from the bluray player?  Thats a first.  Since YouTube was discontinued on her TV, I actually purchased a BDP-S5500 Bluray player for her just to watch YouTube and content from a USB drive - her bluray player has never seen a disc in its life (yet!) LOL

I was under the impression that upon inserting a disc into the player and closing the tray, the disc would auto-play - is this not the case?

I take your point about featured apps though - its an anoyance for my mum too.  They cannot be hidden 😞

In regards to your actual post itself - why not submit a review?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@royabrown

I had to turn my head 180 degrees in order to view the picture - now im stuck upsidedown :slight_smile:

You mean you actually want to play blu-rays from the bluray player?  Thats a first.  Since YouTube was discontinued on her TV, I actually purchased a BDP-S5500 Bluray player for her just to watch YouTube and content from a USB drive - her bluray player has never seen a disc in its life (yet!) LOL

I was under the impression that upon inserting a disc into the player and closing the tray, the disc would auto-play - is this not the case?

I take your point about featured apps though - its an anoyance for my mum too.  They cannot be hidden 😞

In regards to your actual post itself - why not submit a review?

Cheers

Hi @Anonymous

I took the picture on my iPad, which is a bit strange about turning things upside down 😞

But it looks fine viewing this forum on the same IPad; I guess you were looking at it on a PC?

That is one way - possibly the only way - of getting the icon for the disc on the top line though 🙂

You can get YouTube and USB playback a lot cheaper than the price of one of these Blu-Ray players, though - and indeed probably both are supported by your Andread TV set.

Yes, if I insert a disc, it auto plays. But as I said, we were watching The Good Wife, where there are 3-4 50-minute episodes on one disc, and we can't always get through a disc in one go.

So we leave it in, and have to fire it up again when we return to it. And pressing Play just restarts it completely (what happened to the older Players remembering where you were, even over several discs, even if you ejected them and later reinserted them? This box can't even remember for a disc left in it, if you power it off).

So we need to use the fiddly little icon 😞

Since the above picture, I have made the screen less distracting by deleting all My Apps, which, I have learned in this topsy-turvy Sony world I can do, though I can't get rid of the Featured Apps.

But I didn't want to post any review until I was sure of my facts, And when I do, it won't be in this forum, where the only action Sony ever take on any posting is to look for and delete obscenities, while blithely ignoring the catalogue of woes that drive people to use those obscenities.

it will be in the What HiFi? Forum, where it may garner a little more attention. And I will make sure the picture is the right way up for all viewers 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Now it gets spooky....

Despite the above, the box has at least worked OK before.

But last night, it got about five minutes into an episode of The Good Wife, and froze solid. The picture stayed on the screen, like it was Paused, but it would not respond to the remote.

Would not even respond to physically pressing the Eject and On/Standby buttons on the box itself, and I had to pull the power cable.

After that it was fine again though - played the episode from before the freeze point, and it sailed through to the end without further issues.

But even getting this posting made was troublesome....

So do you think it knows I have been slagging it off? And this was just a warning shot across my bows? 🙂