Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-E4100 to KD65X8509C no longer sound through ARC

BDV-E4100 to KD65X8509C no longer sound through ARC

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

We bought a Sony TV KD65X8509C and Sony Bluray surround sound BDV-E4100, both are just within warranty still, but the ARC no longer seems to work.

It was all working fine, with the playstation, films on TV, etc. then all of a sudden it just stopped. Surround sound still works through films played on the bluray player just not through the Audio Return Channel. I even went into the settings on the player to ensure all the speakers still work and they do.

The only thing I can see different is when I press the "Speakers TV<>Audio" button on the remote, the light flashes on the bluray player to acknowledge I've pressed something but it has no effect on the actual audio. When it was working and I pressed the button, the option would flash up on the screen so I knew which setting was on but nothing flashes up.

We also bought 2 of the highest quality HDMI cables, I've swapped them over to ensure one wasn't broken, I've tried all the different things which I've found online but nothing has worked. I've tried resetting the remote by taking the batteries out and pressing each button twice. I don't have another TV I can try as this is my only, I assume the problem lies with the remote but in truth I don't know if it is the Bluray player or the TV which is preventing this from working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unsure if you have read this troubleshooting guide:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/hdmi-problems-troubleshooting-steps/td-p/2141941

I find from personal experience that Step 1 seems to resolve this issue, especially where it has worked before.  If you are unplugging HDMI cables - its always best to fully power down the TV - they're not quite 'hot pluggable'

Cheers

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for this, I've tried it all and still no chage. I've  swapped the HDMIs over and its still the same even when powering everything down properly.

If i go into the tv settings and change it manually from tv speakers to audio system there is no sound at all, and if i press the "Speakers TV - AUDIO" button on the bluray remote there is no change again - the light flashes on the bluray to acknowledge ive pressed something but the prompt doesn't show on the tv and it doesnt change anything.

Surround sound is fine when playing a bluray disc so it seems to be something with ARC but not necessarily a problem with the remote.

Like i say I've swapped the hdmi cables over and they are expensive decent ones, everything worked fine before so i dont know what's happened.

One thing I've noticed is although the sync feature is turned on, the bluray player doesnt apprar in the list of devices when the tv sends the [enable] command? i dont know if this us anything to do with it as i cant remember if it appeared before.

Thanks

Becki

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you try a simple reboot of the TV (holding the poweroff remote button for as long as the reboot message appear on the screen)?

Thanks for your suggestion but just tried it and no change 😞

Get Outlook for Android
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Using the remote control for the TV itself, can you:

1. Press the [Action Menu] button
  2. Scroll down to "Speakers" and press [OK[
  3. If it says "TV Speakers", change it to "Audio System" and see what happens

Reading your reply, you are using the remote control for the Bluray player and it might be the simple case of changing it on the TV itself.

Are you using a Hi-speed HDMI Cable that supports ARC and HDMI-CEC functions?

Cheers