Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S790 very noisy - disturbs my viewing

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
antaylor111
Explorer

BDP-S790 very noisy - disturbs my viewing

I recently bought the above Blu-Ray player (brand new) and have set it up about 4 metres away from where we sit to watch a movie, but even at that distance, I'm noticing that the motor sounds of the spinning disc tray are loud enough and constant enough as to completely destroy any viewing experience, apart from really loud scenes. The sound happens when the disc first starts to spin up after loading and remains constant throughout the movie. It's a quite high whinning sound and it's definitely the disc tray and not the fan at the back as when I get up close to the player, I can more easily locate where the annoying sound is coming from.

This for me is a deal-breaker, unless I have a faulty player? I've read one or two reviews that mention a loud fan and some loud noises when loading, but I didn't expect these noises to be quite so loud or to last throughout a movie!

Can anyone advise if I have a faulty player or not? I may have to return it.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

4 meters!, what you sitting in the garden!, joking aside i have the same player and sit 2.5 meters away and even getting up close and personal to the player all i can honestly say i can hear is the disc loading mechanism.

do you have your player in a cabinet that may be amplifying the noise?, perhaps try some dampening pads underneath it but you should not need to, it may very well be a faulty player, get on to your dealer and explain the problem and ask for a replacement, maybe at this point you could try one in the shop to be sure.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I dont actually own a that bluray player, so I do not know how it should sound.

My PS3, when I first insert a disc, it is really noisy, but within a few seconds it quietens until barely audible.

So It does suggest that you may have a faulty product, as its not spinning down.

So, if its noisier that what one would deem reasonable, I would certainly have that device replaced (especially if its brand new).

Hope that helps you in your decision

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

4 meters!, what you sitting in the garden!, joking aside i have the same player and sit 2.5 meters away and even getting up close and personal to the player all i can honestly say i can hear is the disc loading mechanism.

do you have your player in a cabinet that may be amplifying the noise?, perhaps try some dampening pads underneath it but you should not need to, it may very well be a faulty player, get on to your dealer and explain the problem and ask for a replacement, maybe at this point you could try one in the shop to be sure.