Join now - be part of our community!

Help steaming content to Sony Bravia from Windows 8 PC

JOCSony
New

Help steaming content to Sony Bravia from Windows 8 PC

Hi, Hoping that someone can give me some pointers please.

Windows 8 home pro Desktop PC connected via ethernet to same hub and wired/wireless network as brand new Bravia DKL55W755CBU Smart TV.  The Bravia spotted the wireless home network straight away and is hooked up fine - There is nothing I can find wrong in any setting or by following any set of instructions - most of which don't seem written for that particular Bravia, but I've looked everywhere and am quite IT literate (i.e. I'd spot what doesn't seem right and have explored every option that I can find). 

I've checked the Windows 8 PC.  The TV shows in devices and printers, but Windows media player can't see it in the 'Play to' option - I don't know where it's gone - it was there a few hours ago, but I must have clicked something and changed it.  Even when it was there and I selected it as a Play to option for a MP4 video it tried to play to it, but gave up with a device error each time.  Now Windows Media Player (WMP) can't even see it, despite the TV still being listed in Devices and Printers.  I've also turned on all the Media streaming options in Windows and clicked on for all the various options in the 'Stream' section of WMP. 

Turning the PC firewall (Zone Alarm) off doesn't make any difference.

I'm out of options.  The PC was quite happily playing the radio through my separate Sony SoundBar earlier (that was a doddle to organise), but I can't solve playing video from the Windows 8 PC to the Sony Bravia TV, I could certainly use some new ideas.

With many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
JOCSony
New

Just to add to the connundrum I have just introduced a Sony BDP-S4200 DVD player into the equation.  Having found a working ethernet cable (don't ask!!) this has proceeded to announce to the world in general that it can see all the files on the PC and is happy to play them without me doing anything to help the process.  Any ideas are still welcom on why the fancy TV won't do the same without the DVD machine in the equation.

JOCSony
New

Well the DVD picked up the input for all of 10 minutes and now I can't pursuade it 'see' the PC anymore 😞