Join now - be part of our community!

Wind noise. Is there a way to stop or reduce the sound of the wind whilst recording?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chrisfredsimba
Visitor

Wind noise. Is there a way to stop or reduce the sound of the wind whilst recording?

I have some lovely pictures but they are spoilt by excesive wind noise; (not created by me personally).  I was wondering how, if possible, I can reduce the noise both whilst recording and /or when editing?  I am sure there is someone who, "knows these things".  Please help if you can.

Ciao chris

Handicam DCR-HC44E

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Why don't you make your own wind sock?

The easiest way I have done it is cut up a sock (cotton) into squares larger than the microphone.

Start with one square, tape it down and then try it out. If the result is reduced but you want more, add another layer. The fabric should allow sound to still be recorded but should help to reduce wind noise on recordings.

Give it a try and see what you get.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unforunately, it doesn't look like your model is compatible with any external microphones so that is not an answer.  You could try putting some foam rubber over the microphone hole to stop the direct wind noise but I am not sure how effective this would be.  Trial and error I'm afraid.

The answer may be to edit the soundtrack afterwards.  Most video editing software programs give you some control over the audio track allowing you to adjust volume and add music.

What video editing software do you have?

:thinking:

chrisfredsimba
Visitor

Thanks for that.  I know the HC44E is old fashioned but I like the idea of keeping tapes as well as digital, being old fashioned too!  I use Windows movie maker to edit but again I am pretty useless and can"t seem to master it!!  Should I look at Apple?  That seems to be popular and has support I believe?  :smileyconfused:Is there any easy/good guidance on video anywhere that you know to?

I do admire you people who have such interest and knowledge.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Why don't you make your own wind sock?

The easiest way I have done it is cut up a sock (cotton) into squares larger than the microphone.

Start with one square, tape it down and then try it out. If the result is reduced but you want more, add another layer. The fabric should allow sound to still be recorded but should help to reduce wind noise on recordings.

Give it a try and see what you get.

chrisfredsimba
Visitor

Thanks for that i will try it.