Join now - be part of our community!

Why does the UK get the CX730E with no storage and the USA get the CX760 with 96GB onboard ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
EricButton
Explorer

Why does the UK get the CX730E with no storage and the USA get the CX760 with 96GB onboard ?

At CES Sony announced a large number of new models, including the CX760 the successor to the CX700. Both have 96GB onboard storage, the newer CX760 has a significantly modified optical stabilsation mechanism.

So why is it the the USA is getting the CX760 (with 96GB onboard storage) for $1499.99 (£947) and the UK seems to have been shortchanged with the CX730E which has zero onboard storage for £999. The rest of Europe appears to be getting the CX740E (with 32GB onboard storage) for €1300 (£1085).

Please can someone clarify why the UK appears to be getting stitched up with a camcorder model that has zero onboard storage.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Mick2011
New

All I can add is my agreement that pro support and a few niche requirements does add a substantial amount to the price. However I don't think Sony are unique in this; look at the Nikon DSLR rnage, for example: go from any prosumer model to a pro version any you double the price, and then some... the difference is the (perceived) increase in image quality which is nowhere near as exponential as the price hike!

Incidentally the projector is used quite seriously by film-mkaers for viewing 'rushes' of takes without the need to process beforehand. Similarly XLR is an expensive component upgrade which professional videographers have always paid more for. It does seem odd to offer the same sensor/lens combo in these Sony cams, I'll grant you that. Is there a reason you would want to pay more to get a NX30?

No idea why UK dealers should be able to offer the CX760 at such a low price, I thought the list was nearer £1000. Bulk discounting? Maybe you could get the difference down by shopping around.

Cheers

Mick

EricButton
Explorer

Hi Mick

I own/use pro Nikon kit and I can assure you that there is a night and day difference between it and consumer kit. The price difference can be easily explained by a vast number of differences in the components used and the superior quality of construction.

Hold a CX760 in your right hand and an NX30 (less the XLR shoe) in your left and I challenge you to notice a difference, they are to all intents and purposes exactly the same thing.

An XLR converter and shotgun microphone providing similar features to those found on the NX30 accessories would cost a few hundred pounds (I have checked).

I think we will need to agree to disgree on the projector, I think it is a un-necessary gimic but I can see why some people might find it useful.

I wouldn't want to pay more than about £1300 or £1400 for the NX30, unfortunately the tiny number of dealers and their rather convenient price parity makes it near to impossible to drive the price down much below the >£2k price most are currently advertising.

Message was edited by: EricButton

Message was edited by: EricButton