Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HD-CX130 - Problem?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lawgu1
Visitor

Sony HD-CX130 - Problem?

I've just purchased a Sony HD-CX130 and, having tested it in low light, my film has yellow blotches all over it. I took it back to the shop and got a replacement. However, on further testing, the replacement has the same issue. Is this indicative of the quality of this Sony camera or is this a definite problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi lawgu1, welcome to the Sony Forums

Blotchy, blurred and/or grainy footage (including the sort of problem you linked to on another thread) is pretty much normal for low light perfomance with camcorders at this price point.

Some produce footage that's very grainy, making colours very hard to discern, others reduce the colour intensity almost to monochrome to avoid colour noise and blotching. It depends how the manufacturer prioritises low-light performance: either for image stabilisation, grain, or colour performance, but performance in all three is generally only offered on higher-end cameras.

That said, the Exmor R sensor in the HD-CX130 is generally regarded as a very good low-light performer in grain and colour terms, but the payoff can be some 'aliasing' in the neutral colours, as you've noticed. The CX130 is specifically designed to boost colour performance in low light and this is likely to be a factor in producing this blotching; it'll be great on bright colours (like filming a concert, say) but it will attempt to enrich colour even on neutral areas of the image.

Fortunately there's a setting for it :cool: called 'Low Lux'. It's 'on' by default but you can switch it off – in your Camera/Mic settings under M (Manual) > Low Lux. You might find the image is less 'bright' but the colour aliasing should be less of a problem.

Let me know how it works out :wink:

Mick

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mick2011
New

Hi lawgu1, welcome to the Sony Forums

Blotchy, blurred and/or grainy footage (including the sort of problem you linked to on another thread) is pretty much normal for low light perfomance with camcorders at this price point.

Some produce footage that's very grainy, making colours very hard to discern, others reduce the colour intensity almost to monochrome to avoid colour noise and blotching. It depends how the manufacturer prioritises low-light performance: either for image stabilisation, grain, or colour performance, but performance in all three is generally only offered on higher-end cameras.

That said, the Exmor R sensor in the HD-CX130 is generally regarded as a very good low-light performer in grain and colour terms, but the payoff can be some 'aliasing' in the neutral colours, as you've noticed. The CX130 is specifically designed to boost colour performance in low light and this is likely to be a factor in producing this blotching; it'll be great on bright colours (like filming a concert, say) but it will attempt to enrich colour even on neutral areas of the image.

Fortunately there's a setting for it :cool: called 'Low Lux'. It's 'on' by default but you can switch it off – in your Camera/Mic settings under M (Manual) > Low Lux. You might find the image is less 'bright' but the colour aliasing should be less of a problem.

Let me know how it works out :wink:

Mick

profile.country.pl_PL.title
Darek_Dariusz
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem with this camcorder. Mick's suggestion to switch off the Low Lux setting is not sufficient to solve this problem.
After some testing I stated what follows:
You have to switch to Manual exposition and set it 2 grades lower or more (pressing "-" twice)  (the lowest  you should use is 3dB corresponding to the mark on  the scale between "a" and "n" in "Manual" as a word) and then set White  Balance to Internal (the blotches will disappear). This was meant for  reasonably well lit indoor locations with small spaces (many walls). If  it becomes too dark you have to increase the Exposition. For outdoor  night recordings you might use Twilight (scene selection) or lower  Exposition to 15 or 12dB. You can see these dB values if you set  playback option to Camera Data. You can also decrease  the brightness (contrast and boost saturation of colours) of your TV resulting in a similar effect.

P.S. The yellow colour is the specificity of Sony camcorders.
darek is offline  Reply With Quote