Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing a Faulty LCD Screen

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lyletfo
Visitor

Replacing a Faulty LCD Screen

Is it possible to replace a LCD Screen on a Handycam DCR-SR 32?  I have owned and used for 3 years and used 6 times.I used my Handycam recently for the first time I rotated the LCD screen last month in Cambodia the screen failed It is out of warranty  everything works except the screen  can I do a repair myself and are the parts available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi lyletfo, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I can't be certain but it sounds like the ribbon connector between the screen and the camera body may have broken. They're supposed to be flexible but prolonged lack of use could well have allowed it to become brittle.

It's not an expensive repair – that's to say, the part is very cheap. If you happen to be very technically-minded, there are lots of step-by-step YouTube DIY fixes on the web... personally, I'd be looking for a quote from a local electronics repair centre, who should take no more than a couple of hours to fix it.

Failing that, you could contact Sony's Central Repair facility. Details can be found on this sticky post: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi lyletfo, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I can't be certain but it sounds like the ribbon connector between the screen and the camera body may have broken. They're supposed to be flexible but prolonged lack of use could well have allowed it to become brittle.

It's not an expensive repair – that's to say, the part is very cheap. If you happen to be very technically-minded, there are lots of step-by-step YouTube DIY fixes on the web... personally, I'd be looking for a quote from a local electronics repair centre, who should take no more than a couple of hours to fix it.

Failing that, you could contact Sony's Central Repair facility. Details can be found on this sticky post: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Cheers

Mick

lyletfo
Visitor

Thank you Mick2011 for your reply  I have managed to get the part required and will attempt the repair myself  if it fails then I will buy a new one  just interested in the repair could be too technical  but hey if I fail  I have tried get nowhere if you do not try  thanks again will let you know how I get on

Mick2011
New

I'd definitely google some YouTube 'how-to' videos first. The ribbon cable replacement  is a common enough task for cameras of that era and the procedure is very similar on most handycams. If you can find one for your actual model, so much the better.

Good luck!

Mick