Join now - be part of our community!

Question about SD card

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
matt301273
Visitor

Question about SD card

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a couple of Handycams (DCR-SX15) for making guitat tuition videos...

I noticed that when I record for longer than about 45 minutes, more than one file is created. I normally record for an hour and I get two files. I can join them up in my editing program but there is a slight drop in the audio. Is it normal to get more than one file like this (I would prefer one)...

Also, the way I get the footage onto my PC is by removing the SD card, inserting into my PC and then dragging and dropping onto my desktop...Is this good practice or should I use the USB lead to avoid 'wearing the card out'...?

Also, is it ok to delete files off the card with my PC or should I use the camera itself to do this? I have been doing the former and wonder if that is why I am getting two files.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer this.

Best

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Matt, welcome to the Sony forums :slight_smile:

The 'new file' issue is basically due to the way the card is formatted (and needs to be formatted) which has a maximum file size restricion.

If you shoot in HQ you'll reach that filesize limit of around 2Gb in around 40 mins. Shooting in SP will increase the video duration per Gb but that may not be ideal for you.. if you use PMB it should seamlessly join your files with no audible/visible 'jump'. Other editors may need a stitching utility or plugin but there's no reason why you can't lose the audio dropout in post-processing.

As far as repeatedly removing the card is concerned, as long as you avoid touching the gold contacts you shouldn't have a problem. I've used the same SD card ths way very regularly for 5 years and it still works like new. It certainly makes no difference to your multiple-file issue, nor does it affect uploading. In fact wired USB tends to be more troublesome, if anything.

Hope that puts your mind to rest :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mydearcosmo
Visitor

I think you can set it up under option to choose the quality of the video you are recorder. That is sometimes the case where it creates another file.

Mick2011
New

Hi Matt, welcome to the Sony forums :slight_smile:

The 'new file' issue is basically due to the way the card is formatted (and needs to be formatted) which has a maximum file size restricion.

If you shoot in HQ you'll reach that filesize limit of around 2Gb in around 40 mins. Shooting in SP will increase the video duration per Gb but that may not be ideal for you.. if you use PMB it should seamlessly join your files with no audible/visible 'jump'. Other editors may need a stitching utility or plugin but there's no reason why you can't lose the audio dropout in post-processing.

As far as repeatedly removing the card is concerned, as long as you avoid touching the gold contacts you shouldn't have a problem. I've used the same SD card ths way very regularly for 5 years and it still works like new. It certainly makes no difference to your multiple-file issue, nor does it affect uploading. In fact wired USB tends to be more troublesome, if anything.

Hope that puts your mind to rest :cool:

Cheers

Mick