Join now - be part of our community!

copy digital8 tapes to my computer running windows 10

profile.country.GB.title
Felixsgranddad
New

copy digital8 tapes to my computer running windows 10

Can someone help me please,

I have retrieved my old Sony DCR TRV 245E Handycam Digital8 from my loft, i want to copy the old tapes to my computer, I have never done this before. I cannot find the instruction book or the software disc. 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The problem for USB connection are the Drivers... You have to use a FireWire Input (i.LINK, IEEE1394) if you PC's has this one...

Or, an old PC's with FireWire, or an external acquisition device with FireWire, or a Mac with FireWire / adaptor FireWire > Thunderbolt (eventually also Thunderbolt > USB-C).

And an acaquairing software...

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Felixsgranddad,

in addition to what @Marino.Manolo said I'd like to add that with your camera you'll need the i.Link/Firewire-connection anyhow as via USB videos won't be transferred at all, at least not with your camera.

The next problem is that you've got to look for a Firewire device that offers drivers for Windows 10 because Win 10 does not support Firewire natively anymore. Or, as Manolo said, try to find an old PC/Laptop with Windows 7 which has got a Firewire port and make sure that you're using the so-called "Legacy"-drivers in order to be able to establish a connection. The use of appropriate cables is important as well.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The DCR-TRV245E had USB Streaming, but the ImageMixer software was needed to capture Video vis USB (+ the Driver) in a Windows PC.
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Marino.Manolo,

@Marino.Manolo  wrote:
The DCR-TRV245E had USB Streaming, but the ImageMixer software was needed to capture Video vis USB (+ the Driver) in a Windows PC.

ah, I see. In the manual (I've got a German/Dutch PDF here) I've only found that an "image" transfer would be possible via USB but maybe that's a misleading translation. There's no mentioning of transferring movies via USB in the normal text throughout the whole manual. It reads "images" all the time. However, there's a hint hidden in a table somewhere in which it says "images and movies" in respect to a USB-connection. So thank you for clarifying this!

Unfortunately I cannot find any reliable source providing the driver.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)