Join now - be part of our community!

AX53 audio stereo levels not constant balance

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

AX53 audio stereo levels not constant balance

I have just purchased the AX53 camcorder and I am getting some problems with the audio recording using the inbuilt microphone.

When recording and moving around the stereo volume between left and right speakers will jump up and down with different levels in each ear.

When I am making commentary you can hear a jump in one ear every now and then as I am moving about.

I expect this may be where the microphones are suddenly picking up a difference in volume but this makes it unbearable to listen to and makes the camcorder unusable.

Is there a way to adjust setting to keep both left and right volumes the same or is this a fault with the camcorder.

I will try get an example clip uploaded

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Just uploaded my final vlog on this audio problem. This is a full video, at about 09:06 the audio brakes up the worst.

This was with the MOVO VXR10 noticeable distortion at 09:46 but most of the audio when outside is distorted.

I have the recording volume 5 notches up from min

No other setting can be adjusted for external mic as far as i am aware.

One thing i will try is to turn the mic volume down even more, but this might then affect the overall recording volume when others are speaking.

Has anyone had anything like this with the MOVO and this camera

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

can you try another mic? Or even plug in (yes it sounds weird, but if you have no other mic, it is the least expensive option) headphones to the mic port and hold them close to your mouth when speaking.

That way you can verify whether or not the mic-port is the issue or the microphone you are using is the issue (even if it works with other devices).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Hi Nic

I did some testing this evening before coming to work with the MOVO and a different mic on mic volume settings steps from minimum to about 10 plus. Still need to process these, hopefully will have time soon.

Also did a second clip using the internal mic and with the camera dead center to my body and speaking over the mic the left hand screen indicator show just over 1/2 where as the right hand side is just reaching 1/4 . Would expect them to be reading the same. I will check this on hitfilm monitors.

Also with the MOVO connected and mic volume set to just under 1/2. I plugged in a headset and the volume was so loud just tapping the body of the camera hurt your ears , so moving your fingers could be picked up clearly. This is ever a really sensation op amp or a power issue with the op amp

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

@motorhomer  schrieb:

I did some testing this evening before coming to work with the MOVO and a different mic on mic volume settings steps from minimum to about 10 plus.

if there is an issue with the mic, the mics connector or anything else BEFORE the signal enters the camera, increasing or decreasing the amplification of said signal will not get rid of the effect you are experiencing.

@motorhomer  schrieb:

Also did a second clip using the internal mic and with the camera dead center to my body and speaking over the mic the left hand screen indicator show just over 1/2 where as the right hand side is just reaching 1/4 . Would expect them to be reading the same. I will check this on hitfilm monitors.

The mics are very directional and produce real stereo sound. As I said - either duplicate either channel to both channels in post production or use an external mic (preferrably a shotgun mic or a lavalier) as you are already trying to do.

@motorhomer  schrieb:

Also with the MOVO connected and mic volume set to just under 1/2. I plugged in a headset and the volume was so loud just tapping the body of the camera hurt your ears , so moving your fingers could be picked up clearly. This is ever a really sensation op amp or a power issue with the op amp

The output volume can be adjusted as far as I am concerned.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Just played back the clips I did with the MOVO and a second external mic. Started with volume mic set to 1/2 set from minimum then increased by 1/2 set till got to 5 full steps and so far no distortion.

I did not have time to test for long as I am on nights so had go to work. 

Listening back to my original clips I believe the mic volume was set to about 14 full steps and listening back my PC was on 30% volume. So hopefully this is where I set the mic volume to high.

With only 1/2 step from min I can clearly hear myself talking, very sensitive amp

After tonight I am of for a while so will give this some more testing, need a windy day to see how this reacts to wind.

Also need to look at focusing as when panning its all out focus for some time, but this is another topic. 

Thanks for the help so far.

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Just uploaded my latest test on youtube. This is with the MOVO mic and the input volume to the AX53 set to 1/2 set from minimum.
When listening back the volume is still high which I would expect it to be low, and it is still breaking up so now I have no further setting to control one the Sony AX53..
There is also no volume control on the MOVO VXR-10
So can only assume this is now a fault with the Sony camcorder or a software defect with it

https://youtu.be/o6UY-Be23SA

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

once again to me it sounds like the microphone is the issue here. It doesn't seem to cope with wind at all. Can you do a test inside once without a fan and once in the airstream of a fan?

If it breaks up only when the fan is on, you might have your answer.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

I am waiting for Monday when weather is suppose to be a bit worse and will try with my pc mic. 

The movo I'm using is a very well respectable mic so if it is the mic then either this is defective or the camcorder. Lots people on YouTube use this movo mic with this camcorder  and have no issues

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Hi Nic

Finally got around to testing three different mics on this Sony camcorder. With simulated wind the audio is very distorted. 

This is with the sony mic volume set to the minimum it can go to and even with out wind the audio on the MOVO is breaking up. All mics seem to be very high with a min mic volume.

Maybe its the MOVO defective, it is more sensitive mic and a lot people use them so it should be ok

Seeing as this was second hand camcorder from second hand shop, it might have been the reason the first owner parted this in.

Not sure now if I should send back the camcorder or the MOVO mic as one of them is causing the distortion

https://youtu.be/Gz9tM9ZBdjQ