Join now - be part of our community!

XG95 terrible picture noise and distortion at 720/1080

profile.country.GB.title
fschleiff
New

XG95 terrible picture noise and distortion at 720/1080

Hi.

After a myriad of issues with the XH95, I replaced the set for last year's 55 inch XG95. This set fixes the issues I had before, but has some really annoying problems of its own.

I have noticed that 720-1080p content (especially UK Freeview channels through the built-in tuner) looks terribly low-resolution, soft and very noisy. What I mean is that dark areas of the screen appear pixellated and fuzzy, almost as though I'm watching analogue TV through a VHS filter or something. The bitrate appears so low on the likes of trees etc. I know 4K TV's will never look perfect with lower resolution sources and it's kind-of watchable from a distance, but unfortunately I have to live with less than spectacular sources. However my previous Sony and the Samsung Q70 next door upscale perfectly to the point that 1080i channels  almost seem 4K. I notice grain and pixellation on Netflix/apps too, so it's not source specific, but seems to be the TV's upscaling at fault. I really expected more from a brand new Sony TV, it's definitely an issue if that terrible Samsung is doing a better job.

Definitely not a faulty TV either as this is a replacement for one that didn't work at all.

I HAVE looked at all the reality creation/noise reduction settings and they don't seem to make a difference, at least how I've tried them, so what do you recommend to set these to for SD/720/1080 broadcasts. Any other picture setting ideas, a "magic upscaling switch"? All sources are the same to an extent, be it live TV through YouView or apps. 

Examples from 720/1080i/1080p sources here

(look at the guy's arm on the left hand side of the video file especially)

Thanks for your help

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi fschleiff,

Welcome to the Community.

You could try reaching out to 
Sony Support about this.

Thanks,

Pascale