profile.country.GB.title
al883322
New

TV Bluetooth with Soundbar

Hi, I have this Sony tv:
kd-55x8509c

And this sony sound bar:

sa-ct780

why can’t I connect them via Bluetooth??!! 

im putting the tv on my wall and don’t want the sound bar cable hanging down.

is there anyway to connect them please?

software update? USB transmitter? Tv app? 

this is the most simplest job which is turning out to be a pain in my @&!#

thank you in advance :wink: 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your 2015's tv doesn't have the needed bluetooth profile to connect any audio device. And IMHO it make no sense to connect an audio system via BT, it is meant to connect an headphone. You only option is to find a way to connect them via cable (better an HDMI one)

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @rooobb 

I concur with your diagnosis, but I am puzzled why you think it makes no sense to connect a TV to a soundbar via Bluetooth.

As indeed Samsung would be, who were very proud of the connectivity between my 2015 Samsung TV and my 2015 Samsung soundbar (so no profile issues there).

And indeed, it was quite a job to persuade the pair that they should communicate by the superior HDMI, rather than the Bluetooth they kept sneaking back to.

Bluetooth is for any two pieces of kit that are close to one another and which you want to connect, not just for headphones. Especially now Bluetooth is getting better and better, even if that does leave 2015 TVs behind.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2 In 2015 there was no sony tv at all supporting bluetooth connections for audio device, I was not saying there was no bluetooth on the market.

Regarding the quality of a bluetooth connection (especially one as old as 5 years ago) this the first article I found searching for bluetooth bandwidth...https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591

I would never prefer a wifi connection to a wired one ....with bluetooth there is no chance I would choose it :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

I didn’t say the thing you thought I said about what you didn’t say 😛

What I took issue with was you saying Bluetooth was only suitable for headphones.

And from the article you quoted, I have cherry-picked “While Bluetooth as commonly implemented does degrade the audio quality to varying degrees, it doesn't have to.”

And things have moved on since 2015....

The Samsung soundbar I had, though, was crap however you connected it.

It was free with the TV - and I can see why - and worth every penny I paid for it. There was really nothing extra coming down the HDMI cable - or nothing emerging from the soundbar anyway - that would have merited the intrusive extra cable, had I not been able to tuck it away out of sight.

When we sold the property - in Spain - the TV and the soundbar went with it.

Just the 2015 kit in our UK home to upgrade next year now 🤑

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2  ha scritto:

@rooobb 

I didn’t say the thing you thought I said about what you didn’t say 😛

I'm lost now!!! 😂

beware, when you'll buy your next HT that regardless the compression implemented on BT (and remember it must be supported on both side) you'll get a bandwidth that is far below the 1mbps delivered by ARC (let alone eARC). So no bluetooth for me thanks :wink:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3445045/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-explained.html

https://www.soundguys.com/understanding-bluetooth-codecs-15352/