Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TVs

profile.country.GB.title
woolleybird
Explorer

Sony TVs

Hello!  I live in Spain and I am looking for a Smart TV onto which I can load a VPN, so that I can access BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and could point me in the direction of a suitable Sony TV please?  

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@woolleybird 

Probably the wrong question.

Put the VPN on your router instead - cover every device you have there, not just the TV.

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router

That link doesn’t seem to cover the Movistar router you probably have, but this one says ExpressVPN do cover it, and also gives some other choices:-

https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/best-vpn-for-movistar-our-top-5-choices/

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
woolleybird
Explorer

Thanks for the info.  The main reason for having a VPN on the TV is that I've read that you can mess up the router if you make a mistake.  Since, I often put the kiss of death on tech things, I didn't fancy this option. I will visit the website and have a read.  Many thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

A router can always be easily Factory Reset, and is anyway much cheaper than a TV 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Jaybake
Explorer

any Android TV could do I think. There is NordVPN as far as I remember

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I wouldn't go for a sony tv for this tbh. The catch up services are linked to youview which requires tuning into UK terrestrial services even with sideloading. 

As others have suggested maybe put VPN on your router and use something like a roku stick or now tv box for iplayer and itv

profile.country.GB.title
ian101181
Explorer

i use PIA works a charm and no issues what so ever with mine, the app is great too and a lot less bother than messing about with router.

profile.country.GB.title
woolleybird
Explorer

Thanks for your help

profile.country.GB.title
woolleybird
Explorer

Thanks for the info

profile.country.GB.title
woolleybird
Explorer

Thanks