Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD65A1 turns on, but then turns off

profile.country.GB.title
kijg19
Explorer

Sony KD65A1 turns on, but then turns off

Hi. This TV has no manual on/off switch on it as it switches on/off using the remote. When i switch the TV on at various times, the TV will switch off and go to the sony android booting up screen with all the coloured circles and dots on it and the picture takes about a minute or so to come back on. This happens at various times after switch on, but only usually happens once a night and then for the rest of the evening the TV stays on. This is quite annoying  and after reading various advice on the internet , I have pulled out the plug for the TV and waited 5 or 10 minutes before putting it back in and i have checked "Updates" to see if my TV is up to date which it is and checked the "Timer " options which i have switched off in any case. The problem about trying to find an answer using the google search box is that a supposed solution comes up, which says to click on a few buttons  and various other options will come up...... but they dont when i do it on my TV !  Please have you any suggestions to stop the TV switching off. Many thanks  Jimmymerlin 

20 REPLIES 20
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @kijg19, have you made sure that your TV software is up to date first? Also, try to turn off both interactive application and update guide by pressing (Settings - watching TV - digital setup - hbbTV and toggle it off) & (Settings - watching TV - digital setup - guide setup - turn update guide in standby off)

Hope it works!

profile.country.GB.title
kijg19
Explorer

Hi . Thanks for the reply. You might notice that I did say I had checked for updates on my TV and it was up to date. I have tried to follow your procedure by clicking settings and watching TV ............ but I do not get an option for digital setup - hbbTV  and hence cannot toggle it off. and therefore ,  Unfortunately the actions you have suggested to me , do not work .  In the menu called watching TV i have the following headings :- Channels, Info banner, Parental control and External inputs. ......... but no option for digital setup. Of course I could be in the wrong place , but I have followed your procedure as you stated it to me. Please do you have any other suggestions as the TV is still switching off , or going through the android start up process each time i turn the TV on using the remote. Many thanks . Cheers Jimmymerlin

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi kijg19, what options do you have on watching TV?

profile.country.GB.title
kijg19
Explorer

Regarding options on watching TV, I'm not quite sure what you mean sorry. My sony TV does not have an off/on switch on it as you switch the TV on using the remote control. I then watch TV through my virgin media Tivo box. I can also watch freeview  TV without having to switch on the virgin box, but this is seldom used as i watch all my TV through virgin, amazon prime, or netflix. I dont know if thats helped with your question ????? Thanks Jimmymerlin 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey there, there's a power button on your TV, check page 7 from the Manual: 

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4723/df62d991d65af4059d17fc9d41d56e7b/47239981M...

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Oh, btw I meant on the TV settings, what do you have after watching TV so that I can help you find the option that Piscie suggested. 

profile.country.GB.title
kijg19
Explorer

Thanks for the info on the on off button.... I didnt know that was there !!!!! I am trying to follow what you have asked me so I have clicked on settings then watching TV and when that menu opens up I have the following headings :- Channels, Info banner, Parental control and External inputs. ....... But I'm not sure if that is what you were asking me for sorry.  Plus, I'm not really sure what you men by " what do you have after watching tv" .  After watching TV i turn the set off using the remote and of course the TV goes to its standby mode. The problem is still there because when i just turned on the TV using the remote to looking in settings as you asked, the TV went through the android start up procedure again and it now seems to be doing this every time i turn the TV back on. Hope this helps. Thanks Jimmymerlin 

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @kijg19, you can get it by pressing Home > settings > watching TV > channels > channel setup > digital setup > hbbTV and toggle it off) & Settings > watching TV >  channels > channel setup > digital setup - guide setup - turn update guide in standby off.

profile.country.GB.title
kijg19
Explorer

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I managed to follow your suggestions as follows:-   by pressing Home > settings > watching TV > channels > channel setup > digital setup >

But after pressing digital setup , I do not get the hbb TV message as you suggested . What i get on the next screen that opens is DIGITAL TUNING, SUBTITLE SETUP, GUIDE SETUP AND TECHNICAL SET UP. 

But I do not get the hbb TV message. 

Do you have any other suggestions please. Many thanks Jimmy merlin