Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-49XG8096 does not connect to intenet after ugprading Andriod software

profile.country.GB.title
sony_bravia_man
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD-49XG8096 does not connect to intenet after ugprading Andriod software

Hi,

I upgraded my Sony KD-49XG8096 Android TV to PKG6.6545.0255EUA and now the WiFi does not connect to the internet. It was working perfectly before the upgrade and nothing has changed on the WiFi settings.
I went onto Sony Chat and they asked me check a number of things which i did
When i go to Help/View Network Status, i see the IP address with everything, then is drops off  with nothing, then it comes back again, it keeps doing this in a loop.

I have disabled 5Ghz, checked no parental control on router etc.
I am an IT professional with networking experience so i am not dumb to routers and their setup, but this seems an issue with the new software version
Truth be told, i did connected it to my Mobile using Hotspot, and it worked, so this would lead you to believe it is my router, but everything in my house connects successfully to the router on 2.4 or 5Ghz
To me it looks like a compatibility issue with the router and the new Android software

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Try a simple reboot on Android TV keeping pressed Power/OFF on remote, and retry the connection...

profile.country.GB.title
sony_bravia_man
Explorer

thanks for the reply. I have tried shutting down and powering off the TV for 3 minutes +, I also did the same for the Wi-Fi , but its the same. I ran through all the setups and still the same. What i dont understand is that it works on my Cell when using Hotspot. Maybe the authentication is the issue.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

In this case, I think you have to made only a factory reset...

profile.country.GB.title
sony_bravia_man
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion @Marino.Manolo , I tried this but no joy. This is what i did

Went to the Storage and Reset option --> Erase all data. 

It went back to Factory settings and asked my to setup the network again

I entered the details and it said Connected Successfully, I thought this had resolved it but then went to the next screen saying "Unable to check for Updates, check your connection and try again"

I checked it and it failed, I then opted for "continue without network' and went through the whole setup process again.
Now the network is still the same. If i go to Network status, it shows the IP, then clears to nothing, then back to the IP. It connects for a few seconds, then disconnects.
My hunch is its a compatibility issue with the new software version and my Wi-Fi ( that is working perfectly for all other devices ). 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

A WEP / WPA (WPA2) problem?

What kind of protection do you have in your Network?

Have you try to reboot the Router again?

Have you cheked the IP address in the Router? I know you are an IT guy but... -)

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

can you check your wifi status? Does it switch of itself? I had the same issue with my W75C......no network because wifi is of. So I switch it on, exit the setting and when enter it again it is again off. Never found a reliable solution for that but it started after I change my old fritzbox 7330 for new 7590 so it might be worth to try another router or just some extender.

profile.country.GB.title
sony_bravia_man
Explorer

Hi,

I am to log onto the router no problem. It did have 2.4 and 5Ghz enabled, but Sony recommended ( via their chat support ) that i turn off 5Ghz.

I can see 4 other devices connected on the 2.4Ghz channel and no issues with any of them.

It was set to WPA2 Personal, with a password.

I changed it to 'Open' to test and connected all my other devices to it with no issues but the TV will still not connect. So i have tried with NO authentication and it still doesn't work. I also tried a hidden Guess SSID and that is the same issues. It can't me an authentication issue

I also went into the Advanced Network settings on the TV and assigned a static address and still it just goes from

Connected -> Saved --> Connecting --> Connected, no internet --> Connected - Repeat.

I am not going to rush into upgrading this TV ever again. Very poor form Sony