Join now - be part of our community!

Can I add an icon for sideloaded app?

SOLVED
gohabsgo
Explorer

Can I add an icon for sideloaded app?

I added 0-IPTV by sideloading the apk with ES File Explorer, however, there is no icon on the home screen.  The only way I can start it is by going into settings/apps/downloaded apps, then clicking on open.  It would be much nicer if I could start it like any other app.  I also had this issue with soundcloud.

Anyone know how to do that?  I am pretty comfortable with techie stuff.

Cheers,

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you cant.  Any apps that require SideLoading, needs to be run inside the SideLoad launcher app.

Cheers

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have to change the launcher. One of them is Sideloadlauncher that can be downloaded via play.google.com and than it appear in the home menu and from it you can see all the app in your TV.

You can also have a complete different laucher to be set as default, I tried one (don't remember the name) but prefer the stock .

gohabsgo
Explorer

Thanks,  I'll read up on it and try it out.

gohabsgo
Explorer

I installed sideload launcher which works OK but I was hoping to just integrate an ICON directly on the Bravia homescreen, like Netfix or Youtube show up.  I'm sure it must be possible.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you cant.  Any apps that require SideLoading, needs to be run inside the SideLoad launcher app.

Cheers

gohabsgo
Explorer

Bummer though. 

Sure would be nicer if it didn't need the middle man (sideloader app) to start it.  Maybe the author can fix it with a future release.

Cheers

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I have unpacked ALL4 and ITVHUB apps and added a custom app icon ( Solely so I knew I was using my edited app and not the one that comes with the TV ), added the Leanback Launcher tag to the app's AndroidManifest.xml, like below :

<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />

I also added support to both to navigate throught the apps with the TV's remote ( Again in the AndroidManifest.xml )  :

<uses-feature
android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen"
android:required="false" />

I finally added the tag to tell the TV that they are both apps, and not games :

<application>
  ...android:isGame="false"...>

This in theory should enable sideloaded apps to be able to be viewed in the TV's standard Leanback Launcher.

Sadly, as I have obviously repacked the apps, then digital signature of the app is broken.

All4 refuses to install full stop with the digital signature broken.

ITVHUB actually does install correctly AND it's using my custom icon, but it still will only show with a custom launcher annoyingly, so some progress at least has been made.

I know that Leanback Launcher recently received an update, so I'm unsure as to whether the update requires me to rephrase the Leanback Launcher support tag slightly differently, but at least ITVHUB can boot, so that's a start.

profile.country.BG.title
nikiboy1980
Explorer

Hello friends. It is posible to add icon in home screen of main tv launcher. Just download apk file of aplication  TV APP REPO. Install it. After that start TV APP REPO from icon that created in home screen and navigate to sideload app that you want to create acon. Select it and press button "Create chortcut". That is all.

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

@nikiboy1980 thank you :slight_smile: