Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia 55 inch OLED TV power cable

profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Sony Bravia 55 inch OLED TV power cable

I've just bought a Sony Bravia 55 inch OLED TV which I want to wall mount. I need to replace the power cable as the one supplied is not long enough to reach the power outlet. My problem is, don't laugh, I can't get the old cable out. Seriously is there some trick to removing these? I contacted Sony UK and they said that yes the cable does come out and they sent some silly diagram. I have no idea what the diagram is supposed to show! I've tried pulling it with no joy. I've tried pushing it from side to side and up and down and pulling it with no joy. I've even tried pulling it with pliers, still no joy. This is a £1400 TV so the last thing I want to do is damage it so can someone tell me how to get this cable out? IMG_5360.jpg

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Maybe in another country it's removable, but some manuals are generic, and do say, not all features available in all markets...But here's what I mean.

You see the similarity of your power supply cords end, to the one in the picture in diagram 2 and 3, and its position at the edge of the small indented panel.

Power supply removal.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Yeah mine looks nothing like that as you can see from this photo. You would think when you contact Sony UK they would give you information pertaining to a UK spec TV!IMG_5378.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

And if I'm not mistaken, why is it at a right angle, you would have thought it would be all vertical, the power cord, and head, rather than it turned 90 degrees, then coming down.?!

Never mind, I've forgot cable management..DUH!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@RottenFoxBreath 

I think the cable is insertable, because the diagram @Gozoman was sent does seem to show the same lead in the same place.

I also think this because that diagram show a continental power cable, ending in a two-pin plug, and if Sony sell this TV in different markets, a separate power lead simplifies manufacture.

However, we have not established whether insertable means removable; maybe this is one of those things, like a barbed hook, that goes in easily enough, but come out only with great difficulty, or not at all.

I would like to see a photograph of the contacts on the TV end of one of these main leads; that would perhaps be worth asking Sony for.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I didn't found the exact model you are talking about but if you look at this official video for Unboxing and setup an AG8 tv it is specifically written that a detachable power cord is available ony for 65" model....also the instruction you attached from sony support is meant for 65"...

https://youtu.be/xBLkfUQTh3c

Watch this step-by-step guide to learn how to unbox and set up the Sony A8G BRAVIA OLED 4K HDR TV, with and without a soundbar. Learn more: http://bit.ly/SonyA8GTV Need more help? Visit Sony Support: http://esupport.sony.com
profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Yeah I'd like to see that myself. Thinking I will just have to install a new wall socket as it seems that will be easier than trying to get this lead removed!

profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Yeah that different at the back from mine.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Gozoman 

If the cable terminates in a mains plug, cut it off, strip the wires a bit, and use one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-M-J-Amp-Pin-Plug-Socket/dp/B0001P0SCE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3+pin+...

to terminate it (use the male half - my Dad was shocked to find out that mattered ) and then get another piece of mains cable, long enough, terminate one end in a three pin mains plug, and put the female half of the doobery on the other end of that cable.

Job done - cheaper and easier than using a mains socket.

Indeed, if you have room, you could just get a mains-to-one-socket cable to extend things, and not have to cut the plug off the TV lead at all, which might sit better with your warranty on it....,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

I actually have one of those for another job and yes it certainly makes a difference which way round they go. But I'd prefer not having to cut the plug off if I can help it. I may just go down the one socket extension route as you suggest or install another wall socket.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

a bit late to the party but since sometimes I just can't log in here........

99.9% is not removable or better, unpluggable if it came plugged in the box.