Join now - be part of our community!

Satellite set up

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

Satellite set up

Hi have a KDL-50W80 because the footie is now free to air on pick TV HD channel been trying to set up satellite channels.but ran into problems go into settings and everything from satellite set up downwards is greyed out so unavailable.So I go into settings initial set up and that lets me scan satellite channels ok so far it stores channels bit of a pain as you've got to manually flick through channels with prog + and- but when the TV is put into standby overnight when the TV is turned on channels have disappeared so got to scan every morning hopefully someone on here has a solution Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mercury40 

Have you disabled YouView?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

probably something related to auto update of channels. Can't tell you exactly where to look for that but it must be somewhere under options

profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

Thanks for reply

Can't see anything in settings about auto update cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mercury40 

Have you disabled YouView?

profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

No not at present will that solve problem? But obviously lose the functionality of youview prob worth it while the footies on pick will give it a go cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

Disabled youview and satellite set up is not greyed out anymore see if it remembers sat channels in the morning.Dont know if I can live without youview though feels like I've gone back to the 70,s only changing channels with direct numbers or channel + and - is that the only way?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mercury40 

What could you do to change channels on YouView that you can’t do on the Freeview side of the set, for terrestrial channels?

As I recall, there are three methods on YouView - direct numbers, arrow +/-, P ^v - and you get the same three on the Freeview side. Plus, as a bonus, you can sort the channels to a different order, and/or set lists of Favourites, on the Freeview side.

You do lose the backwards part of the EPG, I know.

But what else do you lose?

profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

With youview you press either up or down on the central disc on the remote then you can scroll through the channels makes a hell of a difference without it your not scrolling you cannot see any channels in any sort of list your just changing the channel with the + and - prog button if you don't know the channel number you could be switching through 700+ channels on the sat side so you do loose a massive amount of functionality

profile.country.GB.title
Mercury40

Cheers royabrown2 due to your reply pointed me in the right direction didn't know there was a standard TV listing apart from youview when you press the guide button lol.never used that button in the 5 years I've had the TV as royabrown2 said it's a standard Freeview guide on the digital side and the satellite side . EPG is a little strange on satellite side only populates when you view a channel so for channels you haven't viewed just says 'no event information don't know if you can force an EPG download anyway happy boy now just hope when I get up in the morning the satellite channels are still there will let you know Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mercury40 

Umm - to be exact:-

These TVs have the hardware and firmware to do terrestrial and satellite.

Terrestrial can be either Freeview or YouView. Same channels, different UIs, but both have full 7-day forward EPGs.

When YouView is selected, satellite doesn’t work - or as you have found, doesn’t last. I think because they are fighting for the same scarce resources on the set, but it’s a big secret why they don’t coexist, and no-one will come out and say why.

Satellite coexists fine with Freeview, though.

But the satellite is only a Now & Next EPG, as it is on most (all?) makes of TV that don’t offer Freesat, and the Sony Android family of TVs is one of the ones with no Freesat.

What I did with my Samsung, which was the same, was I went through all the satellite channels, and put all the channels that were both English and free into a Favourites list, which left me with a manageable number to handle.

So, for the upcoming footy schedule on Pick HD, later in the day and later in the week, you will need to flick over to Pick SD on Freeview, make your choices, and then go back to Pick HD on satellite to watch them. Or look in the paper maybe, or on the Pick website, or what-have-you.