Join now - be part of our community!

Oreo: DTS passthrough definitively dead?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oreo: DTS passthrough definitively dead?

In Android 7.0 DTS passthrough was working at least with Sony's Video app. Now all I get in my AVR from it and also Plex is no audio signal at all. What happened, instead of fixing it they removed DTS passthrough definitively?

UPDATE: Actually it is much worse than that. I tried few videos with HiRes audio (Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA) and I get no audio from my AVR. If I select the speakers the videos with TrueHD have the audio heavily stuttering. DTS doesn't play at all.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

@stormyuk  schrieb:

because my old AV reciever can sometimes "warble" with DD5.1 Netflix/Amazon and I think its some incompatibility with DD+ which I can't seem to defeat.

Also in sound option there is this setting for Dolby output. You can set it from DD+ to DD. The BRAVIA is able to extract DD from DD+ and output that to AVRs which can't properly cope with DD+. Doesn't that help?

Unfortunately not, its as though Netflix and Amazon ignore that switch and still output DD+ regardless of if the TV is set to DD or DD+. Files on USB/Network in DD5.1 play fine with no problems, DTS too (as long as Oreo isn't on ;)).

Its odd as both Netflix and Amazon both have this odd "warble" like a slight popping usually when certain music is playing, theme tunes and stuff especially. Very odd and very annoying. I need to upgrade my AV reciever at some point.

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

They should leave the whole OS behind because they are clearly incompetent... 

Let them make the hardware and put a good Android TV box in every single box free of charge 😂

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@stormyuk wrote:

PCM output is definatly available as I have played around with the android sound settings (Home, Settings, Sound, Advanced?) 

Nope, I can't find it anywhere. I only have the option DD/DD+. 

@Kuschelmonschter I have rebooted the TV and tried. I have two folders in my USB where I keep 4K HDR demos, and in the other HiRes audio demo. I am quite sure (99,99% sure) Video was playing all of them, extracting the core audio I suppose. And direct playing DTS audio. Now anything that isn't AC3 or EAC3 (DD or DD+) is silent, with the AVR showing no signal at all.

Same with Plex, with the couple of videos I tried (only a couple because Plex has become unplayable. It stutters, crashes, hangs. Even after a factory reset - before installing Oreo).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Jecht_Sin  schrieb:

You are still looking in the wrong place I suppose. Should be something like this.

@Kuschelmonschter I have rebooted the TV and tried. I have two folders in my USB where I keep 4K HDR demos, and in the other HiRes audio demo. I am quite sure (99,99% sure) Video was playing all of them, extracting the core audio I suppose. And direct playing DTS audio.

I also have a large collection and I went through it before updating to Oreo as I read about those issues on reddit already. DTS indeed worked well on Oreo via the Video app. DTS was passed as-is, and for DTS-HD, the core has been extracted and passed. For True HD, I got no audio at all, neither AC3 core nor decoded PCM. Kodi can still do both.

Same with Plex, with the couple of videos I tried (only a couple because Plex has become unplayable. It stutters, crashes, hangs. Even after a factory reset - before installing Oreo).

Haven't done any extensive testing with Plex on Oreo so far. But you for sure need to disable passthrough (either via the mentioned system setting or inside Plex itself) when playing something with DTS or you will get into trouble. That you didn't have to do under Nougat.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Jecht_Sin  I think it might be only visable from certain profiles, I recall some oddities with PCM option not showing in certain situations, like from HDMI inputs (I assume they expect you to change the input device maybe?). It is definately available on the Video (Apps) profile with my XE9005. I have switched to PCM a few times with both Amazon Prime and Netflix due to my previously discussed issue.

Maybe there is an Auto setting hiding it somewhere as suggested above.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

@Jecht_Sin  schrieb:

You are still looking in the wrong place I suppose. Should be something like this.

Oh, all right. I had forgot about that one. It play DTS HD 5.1/7.1 as PCM 2.0 switching it to PCM. Actually my AVR now always shows PCM 2.0. Too bad that what was working as "Auto 1" now can either stutter or being silent (I tested a couple of videos). And what was silent in "Auto 1", i.e. Dolby TrueHD, is still silent. 

Ok, I officially give up, it isn't worth my time. My Apple TV 4K with Infuse does a perfect job playing all of them. So who cares.. :smirk:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Jecht_Sin  schrieb:

Oh, all right. I had forgot about that one. It play DTS HD 5.1/7.1 as PCM 2.0 switching it to PCM. Actually my AVR now always shows PCM 2.0.

That's the compromise, yes. You can't do more than PCM 2.0 over ARC or S/PDIF due to bandwidth limitations.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Yes, I'm having this same problem. Playing anything with more than 2 channels on either the native video app or kodi causes the film to firstly play without audio and then the film starts to stutter before the tv crashes altogether. 

profile.country.US.title
costin_iatan
Explorer

May I ask what would be the final concusion on Oreo? Should I update or not? 

Is it even possible to skip the update? 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Dts pass through has now been fixed via the latest update. The arc issue has also been fixed. The update is available to download from the Sony website and install via USB stick.