Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

tleddy
Explorer

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

This TV is such a disappointment. In addition to the problems already mentioned I've having an annoying problem with satellite channels which I wonder if there's a fix for.

The TV has scanned Astra 2E and picked up the free to air channels. No issues there.

I sort the channels in my order of preference. The interface for doing this is a bit clunky, but it works.

Now for the really annoying part. A number of days later, the channels will revert to their original position when first tuned in. I've no idea why it's doing this. I haven't rescanned the satellite or touched the satellite tuning or channel order in any way. It's done this on me about 4 times in the space of three weeks.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a fault or just a setting I need to change?

I've sent a message to Sony support but as expected have received no response.

71 REPLIES 71
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Kuschelmonschter

I know your are in Germany and that you have similar issues.

A such command as LCN on/off is so easy for a programmer to perform that makes me think that not adding this, is a hardware issue. Another possible reason is the will. I mean they do not want to fix for some reason. The same reason that all this time they(SONY) did not tell us, after so many complaints, that the cause is the LCN option which is a Standard for cheap 30 euros receivers.

LCN.png

In any case their or hired Developers, know nothing about Android programming. I know it is difficult, more difficult than other OS like Windows or similar like Unix and Linux, but it is already A YEAR AND A HALF of unsolved simple issues and every kind of missing knowledge should have been received. My conclusion because of this behaviour and inability, is that I also believe Android 6.0 will solve nothing, especially.things that concern basic TV functions. Don't mean Apps and Internet services.

Davedemi
Explorer

I am based in U.K. We use Freeview on digital terrestrial and use hotbird on satellite for international stations. It's the satellite software module that's giving me issues.

this issue also exists on Astra UK channels like BBC 3/BBC 4  and CBeebies/CBBC.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes. This issue is only for the satellite tuner. Terrestrial has no such issue. The picture attached is from a DVB-T receiver with the LCN option.

According to Sony, the only difference between EU and UK is the YouView implementation for UK users.

YouView is activated-enabled when TV is first time accessed-setup in UK region. The problem is that even if Disabled there are two background running apps(services) related to YouView. They could affect satellite indexing since YouView and General Satellite cannot coexist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiCal1967 wrote:

I had/have exactly the same issue in Greece. We are reporting this to Sony since December 2015. Quinnicus helps also here in this forum but this seems that is an issue that not concerns Sony UK since they have different TV systems than rest Europe( Greece Germany Italy etc) with result not to be able to help too much.

The most common way in the UK to view satellite channels (encrypted and non-encrypted) is via a seperate box connected to the TV (i.e. Sky boxes, Virgin Tivo and BT YouView).  For free to air tv, most households use the DVB-T/2 tuners and not the satellite feeds.

However there has been an uptake of people ditching Sky (or other pay TV services) and just using the existing satellite feed for free-to-air satellite channels.  Hence is mis-conception that these TVs are Freesat, which they are not and therefore there is no proper EPG for satellite feeds on these TVs anyhow.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

This is what I receive from Astra 28.2. I don't understand if it is a FreeSat or a FTA and it has got EPG.

Astra282.PNG

profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

Hi there,

I have the same exact problem on my KDL-50W809C, so now you can also count an Italian user to the list of unsatisfied Sony customer.

I contacted the technical service months ago and they suggested several possible solutions by email (they're listed on this topic), but all turned out to be unsuccessful.

A Sony technician also replaced the mainboard but my satellite channels are constantantly messed up and it is impossible for me to use the "favourite list" for more than a few days for the channels of Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13.0.

I bought this TV right because I intended to use the sat tuner, but I feel I have bought a defective product that should have been tested deeply before hitting the market.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor
profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

Of course I did try it, but it doesn't work..

Right now all updates on my tv are set to OFF (except Software Update), but the problem is still here and satellite channels change their order anyway.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Ivo-73

Did you use your previous sdb.xml that was edited with SonyEditor and imported this list back to TV after testing Quinnicus workaround?

profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

Yes I did use the Sony editor to export and then import the channels to my TV.

But the problem persists.