Join now - be part of our community!

AF9 failure after latest updates

profile.country.GB.title
glushing
Explorer

AF9 failure after latest updates

1 Feb 2020 while watching sky live the tv powered off an on repeadtly unable to watch tv. Checked Sony app and confirmed firmware update on 1 Feb 2020. Tried system reset  to factory reset process but could not complete setup process as Tv still power cycling. Has anyone else had this issue ? 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Fuzyphil

Not had that issue yet but several other issues. You could try a factory reset. I did one as I couldn’t tune into more than 12 digital channels. It fixed that issue however there are plenty of other buggy issues in there still to be resolved.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00159906

profile.country.GB.title
glushing
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, I had already done a reset to factory settings, resulting in now not being able to get beyond the welcome screen as the tv continuously power cycles . It looks like the boot loader has been corrupted, and for a £4000 tv it’s not very reassuring regards the architecture of the software

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Fuzyphil

Did you try the button reset or do it from the settings menu. I did about three factory data resets from the menus non of which worked correctly. In the end i found the Link to reset from the buttons which got things working better.

profile.country.GB.title
glushing
Explorer

The screen does not go beyond the welcome screen so no menus available after the factory reset. Tv booked for a repair

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Fuzyphil

If you do the button reset you don’t need to go into the menus.

basically switch off at the mains then switch back on whilst holding down the power and - vol buttons on the rear of the tv. Right hand side edge of rear speaker. Wait for the white light to change colour before releasing the buttons - about 10 seconds.Wait a few minutes for the Factory data reset process to take place. The TV will reboot (turn on and off) twice.
Welcome setup screens will appear on the TV twice. Do NOT setup the first Welcome setup screen. The TV will auto Factory data reset within one minute of the first Welcome setup screen.
NOTE: If the TV doesn't turn back ON automatically, press the Power button to turn the TV back ON.

When the second Welcome setup screen appears, perform the setup.
NOTE: If the Welcome setup screen doesn't appear, unplug the AC power cord and then plug it back in.

profile.country.GB.title
glushing
Explorer

My issue has been resolved. At the root of the problem was that the flash memory had not been completely erased during the upgrade, which also caused the factory reset not to work. Having the TV disconnected from the supply for 36 hours allowed the capacitors to completely discharge and then performing a factory reset successfully. The other issue of not being able to rename the external inputs, was the option was under the “ Watching TV” menu, a change introduced with the latest updates.