Join now - be part of our community!

4K upscaling

profile.country.GR.title
QUE1964
New

4K upscaling

Hello

I am a lucky owener of a Sony AG9 65in tv.I would be grateful if you could show me the way to make 4K upscaling.

Is it possible to have 4K upscaling,only through the hdmi inputs, or it works also with tv aerial signals?

Thank you in advance  for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Your panel is native 4K. There is no way to change the resolution of your panel. So everything will get upscaled to that resolution. Otherwise you would see everything that has a lower resolution in a smaller window.

profile.country.GR.title
QUE1964
New

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think that my question was not clear enough.I'm talking about 4k upscaling,when we are watching 720 or 1080 contents.For example,can we play a blu-ray disk using PS3 and watch the content in 4K resolution to our tv?This is the point of my question.I just can't find the way to do this.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is better to let the TV do the upscaling. As I said, if you have a 4K TV, somebody has to do the upscaling and TVs typically make use of more sophisticated algorithms to do so.

BD players are typically 1080p only. For 4K output you‘ll need an UHD BD player. But it won‘t make non-UHD-BDs look better. As I said, let the TV do the 4K upscaling.

profile.country.GR.title
QUE1964
New

I got it.

Thank you for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Among my BluRay players, I’ve got a Sony BDP-S6700 that only plays discs up to HD (i.e. DVDs and standard or 3D BluRays), but can optionally upscale its output to 4K.

The setting for this has three values:

Off - Never Upscale (i.e. let the receiving TV do it)

Auto 2 - Always Upscale

Auto 1

Auto 1 asks the receiving TV If it is a Sony or not; if it is, it lets the TV upscale, and if not, it upscales itself.

This is saying that Sony think their BluRay player can upscale better than any other maker’s TV can. I like its chutzpah 😎

(But of course with our very decent Samsung TV, I disagree with it, and so use ‘Off - Never Upscale’. I could have bought the next model down, that doesn’t upscale, and saved myself some money, couldn’t I? 😜)

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…