Join now - be part of our community!

4K Movies on Google Play Movies - Sony KD49X8005CDU

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

4K Movies on Google Play Movies - Sony KD49X8005CDU

Hi, I watched the Google Keynote today (4th Oct) and was interested to see that Google Play Movies will be doing 4K UHD movies from November. I know I can watch 4k in all it's glory on the Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime Movies apps. I think Netflix 4k needed a Sony firmware upgrade. Does anyone know if we'll be able to watch 4k UHD from the Google Play Movies app when they get going in Nov? Or will Sony need to issue a firmware update to be able to get the movies in 4k?

Thank

Regards

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I see is Chromecast Ultra device for 4K streaming via Google Play

Are you sure its not only for that??

"Google says Chromecast Ultra is 1.8x as fast as the last model, and it also includes Ethernet support through a dongle. Google Play Movies will also get 4K support soon to provide content to the new Chromecast, and it'll offer HDR with the Dolby Vision standard."

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/04/chromecast-ultra-4k-hdr/

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi Quinnicus,

Point taken but I'm hoping they won't be able to limit the 4k movies to the Chromecast Ultra and that they will be universal on the Google Play Movie App. We'll have to wait and see ha ha. I might have to buy a Chromecast Ultra in the end ha ha.

Thanks

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, its the first time im hearing about it.  As Google has only just announced this - as normal, details follow at a later date.  So its probably too early to tell if its only for their Chromecast Ultra device or across all Google Play store...  If Google did that, they are limiting the potential audience and hence sales.  But then they want sales of their Chromecast device...

Sorry, just thinking/typing aloud here.  You never know, it could initially be for the device, and then opened up say 6 months later etc...  Or it could just be for the USA - which wouldnt surprise me at all !

Jury is out - too early to tell  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

You are probably right about the USA only.

Even if I have to buy a Chromecast Ultra it's a modest cost and offers access to more 4k content on Google Play Movies in addition to Netflix, Youtube and Amazon.

Thanks

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi Quinnicus,

Trusted Reviews seem to believe like me that the 4k movies will be universal on Google Play Movies Apps.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-play-movies-adding-4k-flicks-beating-itunes-to-the-punch. So my question stands will my TV play 4k movies in all their glory or will there need to be a firmware update by Sony?

Thanks

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi Qunnicus,

I'm forgetting my P's and Q's. Please.

Thanks

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Sorry Quinnicus

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Costeta

No need to apologise - I know you by now anyhow, so... :grin:

As I can now log back in here - im submitting the question to Sony.  Will post back when I have an answer.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Costeta

A different thread on these forums prompted me to update you on this.  Unfortuately I havent been able to get an answer im afraid.

Cheers