Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@spook63 wrote:

@royabrown wrote:

(I would like to quote the actual posting, but I don't know what to click on - anyone able to give me the recipe?)

"Quote" button top right of the "Reply" box.

Took me a while to work it out too. D'oh!

Test:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/tv_en_1/message-id/38183#

Not quite the intended result :-(. But I am using an iPad here, so maybe it is different - no right-click for one thing.

Tried Bookmark, then Go To the Bookmark, Copy the URL, Paste it as a link in a piece of text. e.g. this.

Did not work when posted as a link, as here:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2077461#M38183 

Except now it does. Go figure...

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Dione7624
Explorer

Is anibody else having problems with the latest play store not showing anythig in "my apps" section?

I tried delitig my google account and re-entering it, I even tried a factory reset. tha problem persists. Any sugestions?

Thanks

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hello everyone,

The UHD issue has been fixed by Amazon and should work again now.

Can you please re-try?

Thanks a lot in advance
Cheers

Peter

frankie1g

Interesting the two big errors eg amazon and casting is because Sony maybe dI'd not tell the app makers their changes  Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@john.pringle wrote:
I was going through my millions of emails from this thread and I saw one about the problems we were having only it was in German it was posted by that Peter Last week. Thanks. Sent from my iPad

Ah - sanity has prevailed, and Peter now says:-

If you like you can share your experiences and issues in this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6Y868XQ
This helps me to report the number of issues much better and also provides some helpful information to engineers.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Well, I have now practised what I preached and this TV will be arriving in time for Xmas.

The Sony Undead TV lived up to its name again by repeatedly needing to be turned off until it finally got the message - 'and stay off' - but when you watch tv and think 'Gosh, only one spontaneous reboot today' it is a sign that we are being assimilated by the Sony-Borg 😞

So the Sony will be relegated to the study once more, where I can keep the required eye on it at least, but the task of providing proper family entertainment, for Xmas and henceforth, will now be delegated to a more worthy candidate.

cozzykim

@royabrown wrote:

Well, I have now practised what I preached and this TV will be arriving in time for Xmas.

The Sony Undead TV lived up to its name again by repeatedly needing to be turned off until it finally got the message - 'and stay off' - but when you watch tv and think 'Gosh, only one spontaneous reboot today' it is a sign that we are being assimilated by the Sony-Borg 😞

So the Sony will be relegated to the study once more, where I can keep the required eye on it at least, but the task of providing proper family entertainment, for Xmas and henceforth, will now be delegated to a more worthy candidate.

I sort of wish that I could have afforded to keep my Sony, as well as the new Samsung JU7000, because I'd grown quite fond of its quirks, in a 'Stockholm Syndrome' sort of way.

I do miss the seamless casting, and integration with other Android devices.

The Samsung also doesn't have the one click 'Homepage' that I'd got used to so, although it has a slick interface, I don't find it to be as 'top down' structured, and thus not as simple to navigate.

alanxce

I just checked out the Amazon UHD service and it has returned. Thanks for resolving this issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

A few issues I am regularly experiencing (on latest Youview enabled firmware)

1. Recommendations has been set to show only 'Watch TV' but often I get a sad cloud face when I turn the TV on, with the message "Some recommendations are hidden", sometimes it works without a problem.

2. Occasionally BBC Iplayer will not launch, instead a mesage is displayed 'Please wait, application is loading" before going from grey screen into Homepage. Rebooting the TV will sometimes clear this issue.

3. The TV guide will occasionally launch into the Horror Channel, which is not a channel we watch at home (4yo and 2yo at home). I have no idea why this has happened on 4-5 occasions.

4. Simiar to the Iplayer issue, occasionally Netflix will refush to launch and shoe the same grey screen with the message "please wait application is loading" before crashing back to the homescreen. This norally requires a reboot of the TV to fix the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Sony issues Log
Here is next promised update since Dec 10th update V2.645 AND a factory reset on 18 Dec. Still fresh, set up no apps installed other than supplied ones.
1) 19th Dec. using YouView search, via the remote and on screen keyboard, the response is so slow, laggy and erratic it took me 4 attempts to enter a 3 letter search string. 
 2) 21st Dec. at the first switch on of the day, black screen with sound. Not responsive to remote commands after several minutes managed to get to Home Screen and Reset via About menu.

I'll add to the list as and when I discover more. I hope we do not have to wait for a proper bug fix until the end of March 2016, because significant issues still present.
I'm now using this forum as a log of all unexpected behaviours. So far most issues are noted in the first 10 minutes since first switch on of the day.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.