Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Kevwoods12

Nope,  I've pulled the hdmi cable out. 

It's the tvs poor implementation of arc. 

7-Zark-7
Explorer

Just to add another followup - I've removed all external connections to the set apart from the aerial, network and power cable and I still get the same 'audio muting' behaviour after every restart, so it's definitely not some sort of rogue signal on a HDMI input.

The muting persists even after I turn the set off from the remote (presumably it only goes into standby).  The only way to clear it is a restart and even then it usually only works for about a minute before muting itself again (once, the audio stayed active for around 10 minutes).

Given that I didn't update firmware or make any config changes immediately prior to this starting, i'm starting to suspect that it might be some sort of updated app that is causing the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone can answer this query for me. I have a 49X8309 which I know will not support HDR but if I turn on the enhanced HDMI for 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 colour suport and feed the TV with an HDR10 signal will the TV display the extended 10bit colour gamut and ignore the HDR metadata, thus giving an improved picture if not actually HDR?

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I'm not sure about the hdmi element but I've watched hdr files from a usb stick from files downloaded here. http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

And they play fine (and look better than 4k) so the non hdr Sony tv's will simply play them to the best of their ability. 

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

If you download the Sony 4k camp file it can be saved as an hdr and sdr (normal 4k)  You can then see the difference on a non hdr tv. The hdr file looks a bit dark on a non hdr tv but is fine to watch. 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@7-Zark-7

Seems like the "/PRO" default settings for Audio have been altered possibly by an app.

Call Sony to give you directions how to ENTER "/PRO"settings and restore Audio..

This is called "Initial and maximum volume" and must be set to OFF.

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@Quinnicus wrote:

Out of curiosity, for the people thats tv switched on, what Freeview transmitter do you get your signal from?  A Yorkshire based one by any chance?

My transmitter is Winter Hill Granada Lancashire and I am on the latest firmware

7-Zark-7
Explorer

Another followup -

Looks like it was the Google Cast receiver app causing the sound muting issues.

I went through the 'running apps' and killed spurious ones, or likely contenders for seizing the audio and muting it.

When I terminated the Google Cast app, the audio came back.  Restarting the set and even though the cast app starts up again, no more muting (so far).

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I used to have problems with the TV randomly switching itself on, it did it once shortly after the latest software upgrade but not since.

Before the upgrade I noticed that the time for the TV to switch off after I pressed the button on the back of the set varied drastically and could unnervingly take 2 or 3 seconds at times before everything would shut down.

Now the button at the back always switches the TV off imediately, in fact it now works like a proper off switch, have others noticed a change to how their sets turn off?

Sony KD49X8305C

adyjay33

Dont you think its still disgusting that these TV's have been out for so long and the problems are still not fully fixed?

I have given up on the pile of rubbish this TV is... as soon as I can it is going into the loft and a new one bought and it wont be a Sony, no more sorry Sony products for me ever again.

Shame on you Sony... a potentially good product destroyed by useless programmers and technical people who cant build a TV that can do what it is supposed to do without falling over.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!