Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should check something on your tv:

• first of all make a soft reboot (push th off button for more than 5 seconds till a message appears)
  • check if your TV has the latest firmware onboard (probably not even if it is new)
  • after applying the nlatest firmware perform a factory reset

Done that it should work smoothly

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Get it returned
Kenneth_J

I do have the latest firmware. If i do a factory reset will it then reset firmware?... can't be bothered right now to download/install the new firmware once more... took forever the first time.

julianblack

Hear hear.

Sent from my iPad
Anonymous
Not applicable

The firmware will still be installed after a factory reset.  Customised settings etc will need to be re-done however

julianblack

No, it keeps the existing firmware. Just resets everything you've spent valuable time setting up e.g. Netflix and Amazon account details, Freeview tuning.

So glad I got rid of mine!

Sent from my iPad
Kenneth_J

Well i have not applied any settings beside WiFi password etc.

I would hate to say goodbye to my Sony TV as i really enjoy the picture and it's design. I own several sony products but this is a show stopper 😞

My old TV, a KDL-46EX723 was great, i guess android wasn't so good for TV's

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Kenneth_J wrote:

I own several sony products but this is a show stopper 😞

Indeed so; every time I try to watch a show on it, it stops 🙂

(Only joking - since the last update (or updates - since I last used it on Jan 22, and powered it back on on Apr 24, it wanted to update itself twice, for some reason), but after that and a factory reset, it has behaved impeccably.

And the slowdown in the rate of posting here speaks volumes. So apart from waiting for YouView to be able to record, and NowTV to be added, it's all copacetic.

Excepting, that is, the entirely tragic UI. But as it was a conscious Sony decision to do it like that, I guess that is an area where we have to put up or shut up 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
adyjay33

Still have mine and it's still a problem... the slow down rate is probably
due to the fact people have given up or just taken the thing back. I have
decided to give up as I had no time to muck around dealing with Sony so
this set is going into the loft and a decent one is to be bought later.

Never again will Sony product darken my doorstep and I now advise anyone
who is going to buy one not too.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Sony... no wonder you have lost your standing as a so called "Premier"
manufacturer just like most Japanese Set makers have as it's the culture
problem of these companies that is the problem.
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
saraj679
Explorer

I doubt if anyone can help me but its worth a shot. Im at my wits end.  I bought a KDL-55W809c in January. In March I had an issue with the remote control not responding (I HAVE A NORMAL BUTTON CONTROLLER NOT TOUCH SCREEN).  I was able to get it working alright by restoring it to factory settings. The remote has alway been kinda wonky...have to raise it up sometimes to get it to register.

Last Thursday out of the blue the remote stopped responding again. THis time the ambient light started pulsing white continuously. I tried unplugging it for 3 minutes and plugging it back in. No joy. I have an app on my iphone that lets me control it through wifi so I managed to use that to again restore it back to factory settings, but unfortunately when it rebooted I was stuck at the language selection screen because the remote would not work nor the buttons on the back of the tv...nor the app because the wifi was reset on the tv as well! :anguished:

I gave up on it, unplugged it from the wall and plugged all my peripherals into my old sony tv to use in the meantime (thank god I had a backup). I contacted Sony but they are of no help..just keep asking me to restore it and what firmware Im running etc...everytime I get another response via email from them its a different person (annoying). Yesterday (Sunday) for whatever reason I decided to plug it back in and try it again. The remote started working again, the light is no longer flashing. I successfully restored it and its functioning on the most part but there is still some lag in the remote.  I contacted Sony Centre and they are sending out a technician on friday, but Im afraid that since its not acting up right this second they wont do anything and Ill go through the same thing again.

Can anyone give me any clue as to what would cause this to happen?? What does a pulsing white light mean? and why would the remote suddenly not work...for 3 days!!!